+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Angry Why is all Dora stuff bright pink?!?!

I found my gender-stereotyping line today. Waaah.

I went to buy my little boy "big boy undies" cause he's doing such a good job with the toilet training. I had seen some nice Winnie the Pooh undies advertised in Big W. He was very excited as we went up to the rack.

Unfortunately, right next to the Winnie undies were beautiful, sparkly, glittery, bright pink Dora the Explorer undies. They outshone the "boy" undies by far and my DS's face lit up as he picked up a packet reverently and whispered "this one!!!". Dora the Explorer is his favourite show.

Now... I pride myself on letting my son play with girls toys, not be restricted to gender specific toys. He has a pink fairy wand, his favourite bowl is the pink colour, and he has a Dorothy the Dinosaur doll he sleeps with. But I found my line today, and I could not bring myself to buy those for him. I just said they were all too big, and why not Winnie the Pooh instead. He was so crestfallen.

While I want to encourage him to explore all toys and things I feel that it is also my job as his parent to get him fitting in to society so he doesn't get bullied.

So why do I feel so sad for him!? Blame the companies!! Dora the Explorer is not a girl-specific show. Just cause the girl is the main character!! She's not even a fairy-princess or anything, she goes on adventures. I just don't understand why it all has to be so girly. It's like Sesame Street only selling bright pink merchandise.

Anyway, just needed to vent!! Anybody else have similar experiences?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I probably would've bought the Dora undies TBH, but I hate gender stereotyping and have always let my charges and brothers and cousins and nieces and nephews pick what they want without steering them towards something that is typical of their sex.

My brother used to love wearing pink dresses and stopped when he started school because he didn't want to be teased by his friends. However, he made the choice himself, no one made it for him and he's a wonderfully well adjusted boy who, on weekends, still wears his pink dress occasionally and is an avid collector of gemstones and a wonderful flautist (activities people think are 'too girly' for a boy).

I bought my goddaughter some Thomas swimmers for Christmas because that's her favourite show Her parents didn't mind a whit!

Did you know in medieval times pink was the colour the was used for boys, and blue for girls? Fun fact!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't prob bought them too - tho having said that I did go looking for some thomas stuff for the girls and couldn't find any... and never bought them boys Thomas clothes.

But yeah, when it comes to clothing, Dora= girls, Thomas = boys. What about some diego stuff, or buy him the pink undies anyway!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    EmyB, I have had that EXACT internal dialogue.

I wanted to say 'to hell with it' and buy them anyway, but there was jut something 'icky' about putting him in girls undies. Even though they are exactly the same, I just thought the same as you - it's my job to guide him into being a confident, self assured human, but it's also my job to teach him the ways of the world, which unfortunately means that there's a stigma on that kind of thing.

I feel the same as you, I don't assign to gender specific toys or games or anything like that, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy them.

Let's get the bubhub army onto the producers/marketers of Dora!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daydream Believer For This Useful Post:

naebie  (08-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And also... I might buy him some of the Dora shirts if they didn't use ruffles and gathers everywhere. Come on Nickelodeon!!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It drives me mad.
    Beryl loves Thomas but everything Thomas is for boys.

she wears Thomas undies..but I know what you mean..sadly it is different to put boys in pink sparkly knickers than girls in blue ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And why is peppa pig stuff all pink also?? I wouldn't call it a girls tv show? Same with Dora. It sucks. I want to buy DS1 peppa pig stuff particularly clothing and it's all pretty girls dresses and nighties and cossies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same problem when my DD wanted wiggles undies, I could only find them in boys and didnt buy them as they had a thick band and were not as nice fitting as the girls undies.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have bought them and saved them up for home days. He's happy and postive about TT and know one else need know. I hate the gender sterotype thing - took me ages to find a play kitchen that wasnt covered in pink!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here here!Nothing peeves me more than advertising cataloging 'boys toys' and 'girls toys'. Let kids be the ones to decide what they like and make things in ALL colours and stop compartmentalising the genders society!!! That is all