+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dummy or Thumb

My DS doesn't take a dummy but has found his fist, I have tried giving him a dummy to stop him sucking his fist/thumb but he either spits it straight out or tries to get his fist in under the dummy! Should I keep trying with the dummy? Hope that his fist sucking won't turn into full blown thumb sucking? Which is harder to get rid of in the long run or better / worse for bubs? Anyone in hindsight wish they didn't persist with a dummy or wish that they did? DS is just turned seven weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my Lil Man is 5 months and would not take a dummy! he loves sucking his thumb. but to be honest im not one bit worried in fact i would rather it :-) its so cute! lol and natural :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome thanks, I'm such a stress head! Always just assumed baby + dummy went together!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is the same, she has recently found her fists in the last couple of weeks. I have found the more you try to stop it the more persistent she is with sucking on her fingers lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    You won't have to get up in the middle of the night to find a lost thumb and replace it! Go with the thumb. I just wish DD would suck hers while sleeping rather than calling out for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd go fists/thumbs/fingers over dummy, at least then they can find it on their own when they want it

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD took a dummy (we just got rid of it, shes 3). DS never wanted a dummy, he found his thumb.
    I was the same as you OP, worried about thumbsucking but i was told by my dentist its not a problem (dummy OR thumb) until they start getting their adult teeth.

Let your bub suck away, its a natural instinct for them, trying to take it away is just going to cause stress...for ALL!! Dont worry...cross that bridge when you come to it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    definitely dummy. very easy to get rid of a dummy, very hard to get rid of fingers. all the thumb/finger sucking kids i know have done so late into primary school, one girl had to constantly bandage her fingers as they were getting infected from the moisture and bacteria.
    my son had a dummy, got rid of it in one night when he was 2 years old.
    my baby girl loved her fingers but now has a dummy.
    and once they get a little older they can find the dummy at night and replace it themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was a thumb sucker but stopped around 5 months... I spoke to my CHN and she wasnt concerned. She said to me at least with a thumb they can find it with a dummy you have to get up and find it for them

My DD would not take a dummy at all... I just went with the flow