+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is it rude?

To put on birthday invites something like 'no presents please just your presense'? I would like to do this because dd gets presents from family she doesnt need 8+ presents from her friends at her party. Or is there a polite way of saying art stuff and books?

Me and She - 4

Sent from my iPhone using Bubhub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think that's rude at all.
    The other wording you can use is "If you wish to bring a gift, a book would be very much appreciated" - it gives makes it optional.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't want them to bring presents maybe suggest bringing themselves and a plate of food?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think it's rude at all!

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We don't do presents, but put on there that if they wish to give something _____ is the charity dd supports so donations are welcome. Parents have been happy. The feedback is the likes of "saves us hours while [child] tries to choose something" and "takes the pressure off having to find the perfect gift" and also comments about how great it is to give to a charity and to go to a party where the gift is tax deductable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

GM01 (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it is rude to say " No presents, please. Your presence is enough". We did that for DS's last birthday.
    Asking for books isn't rude either, GM's wording is great.
    Art supplies might be complicated, because it doesn't leave as many options, and people don't like thinking they might buy the same present as someone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replies :-) I just don't want dd wanting a party to get heaps of presents I want her just to have a good time with her friends. And after a party she always ends up with too much. But I know some people will feel weird turning up with nothing and i was talking to family members and they said thats sad to not let anyone bring presents so you can never have enough Books and art supplies in this house :-) I just hope no one takes offense to it or thinks I'm snooty.

I think I will use what gm said :-) thanks

Me and She - 4

Sent from my iPhone using Bubhub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Jensha, I highly doubt anyone would find it offensive and the ones that *may* you will most likely find are your own families as they may see it as 'mean' or 'sad', as I know that would be the comments I would most likely receive from my own family if I were to do the same.

It's funny, whenever I hear Mums discuss upcoming parties their child/ren are to attend, it's usually met with a *groan* because of the 'present' factor, so secretly they're probably rejoicing on the inside!

In my experience anytime this has been written on an invite, people still bring a present regardless, so I like GM's suggestion of an alternative option, otherwise I would put a nominated charity down as that way people feel that they're still 'giving' (the ones who like to give) and noone is offended or feels awkward not turning up with a present.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not rude at all. My SIL just wrote "no toys please".