+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Toddler refuses to wear clothes

I'm having a bit of an issue with my nearly 2 year old. She is very fussy with clothes and hates wearing them - usually i can get something on her by letting her chose but now she just has decided pants are the worst thing in the world and screams her head off when i put them on her - she will go on and on with the screaming/crying and pull the pants off. I offer a million different pants - no good. I offer shorts (which she usually is okay with) but no good. It's getting cold and she needs pants - what teh heck do i do. I can't just force her as she will carry on like she is being tortured and take them off anyway - how am i supposed to leave the house?

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Stockings? If she won't wear pants, perhaps she will go for thick stockings under dresses and skirts.

Frustrating isn't it DD had an issue with the colour brown at age three and would scream her head of if I came near her with a piece of clothing that had the colour brown on it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

MothersMilk  (06-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,

My nearly 4 year old DD also mostly refuses to wear pants and has done since she was about two. I mostly wear pants myself so I was a little bemused by it.

In winter we use leggings or tights under skirts or dresses. If she won't put them on I tell her that it's too cold to leave the house otherwise. This usually works because she loves going out.

The other thing that worked for a while is showing her that some of Tinkerbelle's fairy friends wear pants. This only worked in a limited way though, she would sometimes wear purple pants like Videa ( she wouldn't wear any other colour pants though- lol).

I saw some long pants in Target the other day with a little skirt attached at the top and will try them this winter.

The other thing which helps us with clothes battles in the morning is to get her involved in choosing and setting out an outfit for the next day the night before. This saves us a lot of stress and time in the morning. She is really excited setting out her clothes and there is no drama putting them on because she picked them herself the night before.

Good luck, I know it can be frustrating.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I didn't realize my DD had another sibling out there

DD hated wearing clothes until I started letting her completely dress herself and I only help if she asks. She's 2 and a half and some of her outfits are, well, interesting. She's wearing an unbuttoned short onesie of her brothers and her Dora PJ bottoms this morning.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha my problem isn't the pants it's undies dd hates to wear them once I put them on I have to check before we go out if she still has them on!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wantmore For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, i appreciate all the advice.
    She is a bit of a tomboy so getting a dress on her is even more of a nightmare - i did offer her a skirt today though and she was happy with that so i'll try skirts and stockings.
    I let her chose her outfits and i recently bought her new clothes that she picked out which has helped but some days she just doesn't seem happy with any outfit - she is a very stubborn child with very strong opinions.
    It is a bit of relief to hear i'm not alone with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you try putting some pants/skirts/leggings in one box, tops in one box, and jumpers/cardis in another box and telling her she can decide to wear whatever she likes so long as she chooses at least 1 item from each box?
    You could even involve her in the process by getting her to help you choose which 5 or so items go in each box every few days.
    Colour coding the boxes in colours she likes, or sticking a picture of her favourite character might help too. So she'd have (for example) 1 from the 'Thomas box', 1 from the 'Minnie Mouse box' etc
    When you're out pointing out people wearing appropriate clothing (or even non appropriate clothing) could be a good practical example for her. Like, 'look at that girl's thick, white stockings, I bet her legs are nice and warm and ready to play', or 'Oh dear, that girl's only wearing a little skirt, her legs would be way to cold to run and jump properly!'
    Do you think it's an independence thing or a touch/texture thing? I know a few kids who refuse socks because the seams rub on their toes. Some toddlers can definitely be sensitive to that kind of stuff.

Good luck

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Berrie For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Good luck!! It's tough to reason with them at this age.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MM

I swear to you I was going to start s thread on this today .

My dad rocked up at the door yesterday and came running in like a crazy man thinking something was seriously wrong due to how severely DS was was screaming and crying . Nope , id just tried to put clothes on him .

I am at a loss . I try to give every option that's weather appropriate but it's not good enough and when I tried just putting something on him after no choice was good enough he's honestly just devastated , full on bawling heartbroken tantrum , poor little thing :-( I guess what seems silly to us is just the end of their world for them if they don't get it , they can be so particular . They just want what they want !!

So last two days I've literally lifted him up to eye level in front if hes wardrobe and let him pull what he wants to wear off the hanger . He's chosen a too small pyjama top and an old pair of shorts both days , so that's what he's worn . I've taken him out everywhere looking like the biggest overgrown dag in too small clothes but he's happy as Larry .

This may not be the best way to deal with it but he obviously loves these items of clothing for he's own reason , when I put them on him he's so proud and happy , keeps looking at himself in the mirror!

So I've decided to pick and choose my battles , unless it's an absolutely inappropriate ridiculous choice weather wise he can choose from now on . If I have to be firm I'll just do my best to ride out the hour long tantrum I'm sure it will be while trying to comfort and distract him .

Sorry I don't have any great advice but I hope sharing what I do has helped a little , and also shown you your not alone !!

Xoxo

Sent from my iPhone

Me  Dh
    DS -2 years 
    DD - 10 months 💜

16. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post: