+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default afraid my daugher won't make friends , advice please

dd started school this year. she is in a class with her best friend from preschool. at first i was excited about this but now not so sure. b/f is mother hen type and watches over dd's every move usually holding her around her shoulders to sort of guide her along etc.
    last friday i was early to school as i dropped step daughter off on the way and there wasn't long enough to go back home. so we were 10minutes early. dd was so lost as her b/f hadnt arrived as yet. i tried guiding her to other girls in her room who also looked lost. dd said i can't have more friends or b/f won't be my friend. she hasn't grasped that she can have more than one friend at a time.
    i am not sure if i should talk to the teacherand ask if dd can be sat with somone else occasionally or if i jsut keep out. i have never done this before so am absolutely nervous for my dd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When my son started prep,I requested he be in my neigbours class as he knew noone at the school,and hes very shy and hates change!
    In the end,it was a bad thing,and the teacher expressed concern.Luckily they made a new prep class,and neighbour was transferred,and my son did so much better,made new friends,came out of his shell so much more!
    Can you swap classes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    she will eventually make other friends her bestfriend is just familiar to her at the moment and makes her
    feel safe and happy at school in time they will both make other Friends, I'd wait a bit and if it still becomes at issue then maybe suggest them sitting apart etc

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd talk to the teacher, they are generally really good with that sort of thing and will probably have some good ideas/input.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly I would just leave it. She hasn't been at school long and this sounds normal to me.
    She will make other friends in time. Give it a month or so..
    I have been through all this and personally I wouldn't be speaking to the teacher at this stage. She will find her feet and become more confident.
    I think having her sitting with someone else could do more harm the good so early on.

Best of luck and try to relax they usually sort themselves out.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Most teachers pick up on this kind of thing once they get to know their students. Everyone is new to them at the moment so it may be worth voicing your concerns and your basis for then. Mention to the teacher that they know each other but you are concerned that, due to your child's nature, she may not try to make friends with other classmates. The teacher can't force her to play with other kids but can provide opportunities for your child to interact with other classmates independent of b/f through strategic grouping etc.