A spin off from the other thread where someone (sorry can't remember who) said they didn't make risotto cos they had to stir it and then a few us piped in with our various way of making risotto.
So, how do you make risotto?
I have never actually be taught by a proper italian chef how to make it, I was shown by a great Belgium chef and also another good British chef (both of whom had great restuarants). But I am still yet to know if they methods are proper proper proper IYKWIM.
Anyway how I make it (well the key bits)
I was told to never put cream in risotto, my belgium chef saw me once doing this and nearly had a stroke on the spot!!
- over medium heat sweat/lightly fry onion in butter and olive oil
- add extra vegies that need frying off
- if too dry and a little extra oil and butter
- add the rice and stir a little - not heaps but enough so it doesn't stick. I was taught this is the most important bit - you need to cook the rice enough for it to go translucent but have a little white do tin the middle. The clear outside means you have released the starch in the grain which will create the 'smooth' risotto at the end. (stirring it while cooking will break the outside structure of the rice, which will release starch but too much. And it will break down rice and make risotto claggy and gluggy.)
- deglaze with some wine (I never have wine so i tend to use white balsamic)
- I add double the amount of water/stock to rice. I add it all in one go - cold. and I stir the rice to distrubute the water.
- I turn it down to low and walk away and leave it for 10min or so.
- I will stir it just enough to make sure its not sticking (apparently you shoudl just aggitate it, but I never seem to have a teatowel around ot hold pot so i just stir it)
- after about 20min min I generally add more water - normally up to another cup (i know its supposed to be double the water but i find it too dry?)
- When it is al dente I turn it off (again im not sure how cooked it should be, i just do it to my taste. Well a bit less then my taste because I know it will keep cooking.
- I put ina MASSIVE blob of butter and kinda stir it through gently. put lid on and leave it for 5min.
- I finish stirring through butter, adjust seasoning and serve.
so what about you, how do u do it??
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 24
03-02-2012 18:45 #1
1000 ways to make a risotto...
The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:
03-02-2012 18:46 #2
03-02-2012 18:47 #3
I use the rice cooker. Chopped mushrooms, chicken stock, sautéed onions, rice all chucked in! Delicious!
03-02-2012 18:49 #4
Im a ladle at a time stirrer.
03-02-2012 18:50 #5
03-02-2012 18:51 #6
haha.. triple time that made me laugh.. very descriptive!
i can just see you at risotto's anan.. hi im tt and i a laddle at a time stirrer...
03-02-2012 18:53 #7
Baked. Throw all ingredients in a baking dish with lid and throw in oven. Yum.
Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
03-02-2012 18:56 #8
03-02-2012 18:56 #9-
- Join Date
- Mar 2008
- The 'Gong, NSW
I tend to do my risotto in the oven to save me time and effort
In a casserole type dish (e.g. stove and oven type) brown onion, garlic add meat/ chicken and veggies and then stir in arborio rice, allowing it to soak up some of the pan juices. I then add all of the stock, bring it to the boil, then pop the lid on and put it in the oven at 180C for half an hour, then add parmesan once it's cooked.
As you can tell, I'm very technical
03-02-2012 19:02 #10
I just do it the way my chef i like the most taught me. I know in service (like the middle of kitchen time) when you are making risotto to order you use hot because the rice is half cooked already and kept in the fridge. Hot stock works better in that case. But cooking from start to finish in one go - most chefs i know use cold. But really who knows?
I would really like to be taught by an authetic person who really knows!
Last edited by Buttoneska; 03-02-2012 at 19:05.
Prams and StrollersLooking to buy a pram or stroller? :: Viewer reviews of prams :: Pram Buyers ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Egg Donation in Greece #5Egg Donation
Growth Of Intellection. Discussion?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
What is going on!?Conception & Fertility General Chat
Married At First Sight 2017Movies / Music / Books / TV Chat
Would you delay TTC because first child is starting first year of school.General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Suspected endometriosis with no symptoms?Endometriosis Chat
Awesome Mums of Autistic kids-how many of us are there (#3)????????Parents of Children with Special Needs
Missed miscarriage... waiting, waiting, waitingPregnancy Loss Support
The Word Association Game #24Games & fun stuff