ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Donating sperm

Why don't more people donate sperm?

In my view, it's not invasive (not to mention, fun for the man), they sign away their legal rights, and it help others. It just seems so simple.

I asked my DH and he said he would do it, so long as the IP's had no interest in hitting him up for CS and he had no further responsibility. He's only requirements would be that he believe the people he donated to would be committed parents.

Would your DH/P be happy to donate sperm?
    Would you be happy for your DH/P to donate?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Laws changed here in Vic... the donor while 'anonymous' is only anonymous until the child turns 18, and then they can apply for information. The donor gets no say, so now the donor must be prepared for possible contact.

Secondly, its actually a fairly time consuming process. Donor has to go into the clinic on several occasions for bloodwork (incl STI & HIV testing) counselling, paperwork and then a set number of donations at certain intervals because each sample is screened and quarantined.

Id be happy for DH to donate.
    He probably wouldn't.. his own testing was enough to embarrass the living hell out of him
    Last edited by RunningWithScissors; 02-02-2012 at 07:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I asked him once, and he said he was uncomfortable with the idea of his children being out there in the world and him not knowing.

I would be comfortable if he wanted to, but as long as the child will have the ability to identify him when they are 18 (which, i believe, is the case in Australia). I strongly believe children have a right to know the identify of their parents.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You might want to check the bit about legal rights.

Would your DH/P be happy to donate sperm?
    Would you be happy for your DH/P to donate?
    No and no.
    We're both dead against the practice for various reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    AFAIK, donors are advised whenever there is a live birth as a result of their donation MsMummy .. and you're right that there is no such thing as an 'anonymous donation' anymore - the men have to be prepared to receive contact (if any) when the child reaches 18. Friends of mine who've used donors have sometimes written to the donor to see if they are interested in meeting the children before they turn 18yrs of age, but that's really an individual decision that the donor makes and there's certainly no pressure placed on them.

There's also now a family limit when you donate through a clinic - that is, once a sperm donor has been used by a certain number of women, any remaining donations aren't able to be used by other families.

I think it's a wonderful gift and I'd certainly encourage more donations. The children, when/if they make contact, don't want anything other than to learn more about where they come from really, so there's no 'ulterior motive'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Is it true that there is only something like 20 or 100 donors in Australia now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DH has never said no he would never ever do it, however he said that for him, he would view the child as having the same genes his children with me have (as in chance of his percentage), therefore are technically his children biologically. Therefore to him, it is like giving his child to a woman to raise, that he doesn't know and he isn't comfortable with the whole idea of it. To him, it's not just "sperm" if it ends up creating a life/soul.

For me, I couldn't genetically donate at this point. His or mine. I don't think it is just genes that come into play, but souls etc and a part of you. So I dk.

If any of our 8 siblings needed our help however... I would do it.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    They can apply for information, such as medical records, photos etc. I don't think, if you're an anonymous donor, they can't contact you, they can just access certain things you make available at the time of donation.

There are so few Australian men who donate sperm most Fertility Clinics have arrangements with American sperm banks but American sperm is a lot more expensive. This is the road we'll be taking though as the waiting list is crazy for Australian sperm.

Sperm donors can only create up to 5 families, including their own.

ETA: Rabbity Babbity - it's such a wonderful gift you can give someone, good on you and DH for considering it
    Last edited by rainbow road; 01-02-2012 at 19:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH said he would if it wasnt so much effort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    No and no.
    We're both dead against the practice for various reasons.
    Can i ask why?