View Poll Results: Which is more important for your family?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just enough food, but poor quality

20 100.00%
  • Top quality, but far from enough

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would prefer to make sure my family has food in their stomachs rather than starve them so i know it's healthy. The way i see it if they aren't eating enough than they won't be overly healthy anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we will have rice, lentils, and vege stock for the next little while. DD will have 2 pieces of fruit and a mighty might sandwich at school. And a bowl of cereal for breakfast.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Im half Italian...we eat until we are full.
    We almost never buy top quality stuff but Im not happy unless everyone has that disgustingly full look on their face after dinner and I can hear groans that resemble 'I shouldnt have eaten that much'

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

delirium  (01-02-2012),GothChick  (01-02-2012),share a book  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    OMG I'd hate to be in that position. I'd love to say the second, but I'd probably have to go with the first, mind you, I always have a great vege garden, so I always have lots of fresh veg available...
    Mine gets built up, then a cyclone or heavy rain hits but we have heaps of people with fruit trees so fruit is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been in this situation. I would go with the first...but where possible, try to include days of the second.

I used to make DD pasta with a little butter mixed through and then grate a little brocoli on top. I could make one head of brocoli last most of the week. The way I figure, she is getting full because of the carbs, but she is getting at least some nutritional value.

I couldnt stand to think of my child going hungry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    I have been in this situation. I would go with the first...but where possible, try to include days of the second.

I used to make DD pasta with a little butter mixed through and then grate a little brocoli on top. I could make one head of brocoli last most of the week. The way I figure, she is getting full because of the carbs, but she is getting at least some nutritional value.

I couldnt stand to think of my child going hungry.
    Neither can I

Unfortunately even pasta is not on the menu for the next fn. I have enough bread to get dd through scool lunches, then baked beans on the w/e which I know she won't eat at school.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It depends on what your definition of quality is, because I don't really think we have 'poor' quality food in Australia, at least none that's cheap! In less developed countries they fill up on inexpensive staples like rice or potato, but I wouldn't think of these as poor quality foods unless they are rotten etc.

If you're asking would I prefer a little box of organic food or gourmet food vs a big shop of basics from the grocery store I'd choose the basics.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Savingfishfromdrowning View Post
    It depends on what your definition of quality is, because I don't really think we have 'poor' quality food in Australia, at least none that's cheap! In less developed countries they fill up on inexpensive staples like rice or potato, but I wouldn't think of these as poor quality foods unless they are rotten etc.

If you're asking would I prefer a little box of organic food or gourmet food vs a big shop of basics from the grocery store I'd choose the basics.
    As mentioned, generic brand rice with lentils and vege stock. Maybe sauce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    could you get some 40 cents homebran packets of pasta you can bulk out pasta dishes heaps!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! Good question!

Hmmmm, I would love to say the second, ideally, but I would have to say the first one. Going hungry at all is never a good option. Plus your body has a way of extracting ANY itty bitty nutrients out of things if it needs it.

I had a thought last week, actually....I had been whinging to a friend of mine how I couldn't afford organic food, specifically organic bread and how I'm stuck buying the bleached white crap (it's the only kind I like). Then I watched 60 minutes, the one with what's happening over in somalia and it really put things in perspective....there was a woman with 12 children who trecked from one camp to another and 3 of her children died on the way. Another woman had two young children...one sicker than the other but both sick, but she had little food so she decided to give it all to one and let the other die.

It really hit home to me how priviledged we really are. Here I am whining about how I can't buy organic bread for crying out loud...when one of those families would gladly take a loaf of the bleached white crap and it would feed their family for a week and be grateful! When you think of it that way, it really hits home.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (01-02-2012),lulu21  (01-02-2012),NancyBlackett  (01-02-2012)