ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Conceiving when underweight...

Hi all,
    I have read that women considered 'underweight' can have the same trouble conceiving as overweight women. I have always been very slight, and I don't consider myself as 'underweight' but I do have a very low BMI.

Reading these things has given me concern as we're considering ttc later in the year so I'm wondering if anyone is/has been in a similar position? Or heard if this is true and why?

Keen to hear others thoughts on this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've heard it too, but I had NO issues conceiving DD1 when I was a size 6-7. I was a bit bigger when I conceived DD2 but again had no issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My BMI is 19 - I'm a size 6-8.

We've been TTC for 14 months, but with no luck so far. I have also heard that being smaller can affect fertility, but I think that is when your cycles are affected by it (e.g. A lot of professional dancers have fertility issues because they are so lean - their periods completely disappear.)

As a teenager I was significantly underweight, which messed with my cycles and development. I don't think I really hit puberty until I was about 19.

Good luck to you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in the same position - technically underweight (45kg, 151cm tall), although quite healthy. I have always been very light, and it's never been a problem. We conceived first try.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the issue is more to do with people with eating disorders, or those on crash diets, not people like you and I who just happen to have a very small build.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

Paralysis by analysis  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    I've heard it too, but I had NO issues conceiving DD1 when I was a size 6-7. I was a bit bigger when I conceived DD2 but again had no issues.
    Thanks Bell and Bug, that's good to hear, I'm also a 6.
    I was wondering if the main issue was for women who are underweight due to an eating disorder for example, so unnaturally underweight where it impacts on the menstrual cycle.

And that this caution wouldn't apply to those who are just naturally small.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    My BMI is 19 - I'm a size 6-8.

We've been TTC for 14 months, but with no luck so far. I have also heard that being smaller can affect fertility, but I think that is when your cycles are affected by it (e.g. A lot of professional dancers have fertility issues because they are so lean - their periods completely disappear.)

As a teenager I was significantly underweight, which messed with my cycles and development. I don't think I really hit puberty until I was about 19.

Good luck to you

My BMI is 17...
    Sorry to hear you've had difficulty. I wish you luck - as they say - Practice makes perfect!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was 'underweight' (i think my BMI was about 18-19 and i weighed 48kg) when i started ttc and fell pregnant with no trouble at all. I have been pregnant 5 times and the longest time it took it to fall was i think 2-3 months, the rest were first time lucky. No fertility issues at all - super fertile even.
    I have always been a naturally small person though with very regular cycles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Paralysis by analysis View Post
    Thanks Bell and Bug, that's good to hear, I'm also a 6.
    I was wondering if the main issue was for women who are underweight due to an eating disorder for example, so unnaturally underweight where it impacts on the menstrual cycle.

And that this caution wouldn't apply to those who are just naturally small.
    Those are my thoughts, that it would be so because of an eating disorder or any other issues that can affect the body. Being naturally thin I dont think would cause fertility issues, only being underweight due to underlying reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The furthest I have got with a pregnancy I was at my lightest weight and fittest. I think my body fat was around 16%. I've put on weight in past cycles hoping it would help but it hasn't so I think the correlation would be more about having an eating disorder and cycles being affected by that. Good luck on your journey.

Sent from my iPad so pardon the errors!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My BMI is 17, (which is technically "underweight" I think) 45kg before both pregnancies, and a size 4-6.
    I have conceived twice, albeit accidentally
    I agree that it's probably more to do with eating disorders, because you can definitely be naturally small and healthy.
    Last edited by nicoletta; 31-01-2012 at 19:43.