+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how to explain to my toddler about new baby

my DS is 22 months and has no idea about this baby that is due in 8 weeks. we have tried explaining what a baby is and that there is a baby in mummy's belly letting him feel my belly etc but he is totally clueless god love him he just say belly then runs off to play
    do you think he is just too young to get it? my friends DS was younger than mine when she was pregnant and he seemed to kind of understand??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations! I will be in the same position as you if all progresses with this pregnancy. We talk about babies now, we have friends with younger babies and will wrap his teddy in a blanket and swaddle and sing songs. My main aim is to get DS to be gentle around babies, even though he is a very calm and gentle child by nature

Best wishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd was similar age and didn't really get it at all before #2 arrived. Now, she runs in in the morning and looks for him first. Your little one will be fine.

loop is offline Two kiddos keeping me on my toes :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    HE probably understands more than you think, but just cant be bothered. They are so self absorbed at that age arent they? My DS will be 3 when bub comes in just over a month. We have been reading a book, that explains about pregnancy and baby coming home. He loves that book, calls it his 'brother book'. Also, there are so many second babies at playgroup, he ended up wanting one for himself.
    Can you ask at the library or a book store for a 'brother book'? Also, if you have friends with baby siblings I suggest spending time with them. Good luck!

OffwiththePixies is offline I'm Jaz, and I'm off with the pixies all the time!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I was going to say get lots of books about babies, my DD loves 'theres going to be a baby' theres also one we have - I think its called 'Hey hippopotamus can babies eat cake too?' theres loads, theres also a hombirth based book called 'hello baby' and another one called theres a house inside my mummy. I find reading a story helps because I'm not talking about the baby, I'm spending time with DD reading her a story, it becomes focussed on her, not the baby, and I think she responds well to that. Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Buy the picture book 'there's a house inside my mummy' by Giles Andreae

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    Buy the picture book 'there's a house inside my mummy' by Giles Andreae
    I loved this book and bought it for friends when they were expecting their second too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-bubhub For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my ds will be 2.5 when this one arrives, he understands there is a baby in the tummy and he understands when he sees ultrasound pictures that it is the baby in the tummy but he also tells me to "put the baby away" if i have my top off/pulled up exposing my bump so i hope he isnt going to want me to put the baby away once it is born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd is nearly 20 months, she will be nearly 23 months when this baby is due. We talk every day about the baby that daddy put in mummys belly for safe keeping. She loves my belly now, rubs it gently and kisses it.

I think if dd 'gets it', then your ds would get it too, he might just be too busy playing to pay attention.

Also dd has a teddy bear that we dress up in a nappy and wondersuit, wrap in a blanket and pat his bottom. However, I think little girls would enjoy this pretend play much more than a little boy would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is nearly 20 months so a little bit younger than your DS & I'm due in a little over 2 weeks. I'm not sure she really gets it either but think that it is more that she is not terribly interested. I didn't start reading any books or telling her until my tummy got "fat" as she says, so she has only really known for a few months - I was advised not to tell her too early. When prompted she will acknowledge that there is a baby in my tummy and she loves a book about Za Za the zebra who's mum is having a baby (it is written by the same person as the Maisy books). She never says anything spontaneously about the baby though... only if somebody mentions it and she isn't really interested in feeling my tummy. If I put my hand there she takes it away! Yesterday at Mum's group there was a 4 month old and I had a hold for a while and DD came up and gave her a cuddle & we looked at her toes and fingers and I said she was like our baby in my tummy & she seemed to really get off on that - you could try doing something like that with a friends baby. I always point out babies at the shops to her and say things like "look at that cute baby" or "what a nice baby", etc.