+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child services advised of my DS 15mths broken collar bone

So my son have a fractured collar bone and the doctor said they have to tell child services about it - anyone been in this situation, what happened??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ARGHHHH this makes me so angry.

When DD broke her collar bone, it happened at daycare so the daycare centre was reported to child services.

Sorry cant advise what will happen, but good luck with it all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I heard they have to report for kids under 2. But I'm not sure if all doctors do it or just for certain injuries etc. My DS fell at 3 weeks old and I rushed him to hospital Im not sure if I was reported but I never heard from anyone. But then nothing actually happened to him just one hysterical mother in emergency.

My friends DD had a bad fall and her head was split open and she was never contacted either.

Even if someone contacts you they will probably just ask a few questions that's it. Don't worry I'm sure nothing will come of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When one of my daughters had a UTI the doc said they have to report it.. I thought Certain things like breaks, falls and bruises have to be reported also but they don't put you on the 'watch list' it's just protocol..

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    An old friend of mine took her DD to hospital with 2 fractures in her leg. Child protection were advised and my friend wasn't allowed to take her DD home with her when she was discharged. Her DD went to her bio fathers place instead, would have gone into foster care if my friend and the bio dad were together still. She was also later found to have a fracture in her wrist.
    It depends on how it happened, and any history you may have with child protection.

In my friends case people had reported to child protection their concern of how my friends new partner was treating the DD. she also "didn't know" how the fractures occurred.

It's protocol and in most cases nothing will come about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Does the Dr have to inform you that they are going to report it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend who works in the area said they usually only act where there is a pattern. One report will likely do nothing except go on the record in case of further reports. However if that report is one of several eg friends have reported concerns, teacher has reported bruises or concerns, and then a dr report comes in, those are the cases that get investigated.

They are dreadfully overworked and underfunded. They simply can't look into every report, especially now with mandatory reporting they have a huge amount coming in. I wouldn't worry.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Arusaamatus  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My understanding is that It'll just go onto a system - unlikely you'll be contacted - but if it comes up as a repeated issue or someone else reports something then it'll get investigated.

A friend was told she would be reported by the hospital to docs, she brought her daughter in after a bad fall, spent hours in hospital being observed, was told nothing was wrong but then a different doctor said he wanted to take her to a different hospital for further observation & my friend refused. (her daughter was fine, had been fine since the fall, she'd brought her in just in case and several hours of trying to keep a happy healthy energetic toddler still enough to be monitored she decided it was pointless staying) she would come back if there was any issues - which there wasn't.

Nothing came of that report, she wasn't even contacted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cashahn View Post
    Does the Dr have to inform you that they are going to report it?
    No a reporter does not 'have' to inform you that they are going to report but it is common courtesay. Most reporters will try to let you know if possible but if they can't contact you, think you will react aggressively or are likely to 'do a runner' with the child then no they won't.

OP, as many pp's have said, its a policy that the doctor has to follow and it covers them. If there is a history of harm recorded you will be contacted (if staffing allows) but if not then you will hear nothing. Try not to worry. As a mum, I think I would be happy to know this policy/procedure is in place. It limits the harm to other children who are in serious danger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS suffered burns on his hand (2nd degree) when he was two, I tool him to hospital and they reported to welfare. I was never contacted by welfare over it.