ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Would you be worried?

I'm keen to get some other opinions on this. My DS 2.5yrs has just seemed a bit off for the last month or so. It really isn't anything specific, so I feel a bit odd about going to the dr about it.
    He gets plenty of sleep, 12 hrs overnight and 1-2 (sometimes 3) hrs during the day. But just recently he has started telling me that he feels tired. Everyday. Usually more than once a day. I'm not sure if he has just discovered/ started to understand the concept of feeling tired, or what. He also looks tired, dark around the eyes, he often gets really sooky easily (which previously wasn't like him unless he was really tired).
    He hasn't actually been sick with a virus or whatever for ages, so I don't think it is anything like that. He eats reasonably well (for a toddler), but isn't a huge fan of meat, but usually eats a little bit most days.
    He also often says he feels "sore", but when you ask where he feels sore, it is a different spot everytime.
    He also used to have beautiful clear skin, but now has spots and pimples on his face.
    Urgh... I don't know, but he seems to be getting slightly worse as the weeks go on. He is still very energetic on occasion at the park, and would probably seem normal to anyone else.
    Would appreciate any advice/ opinions.
    Cheers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any great wisdom but I wanted to say - mummy intuition counts for something! Trust your gut, if you feel something isn't quite right, there's no harm in getting him checked over. Who cares if the doc thinks you're silly?! Better to put your mind at ease.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to changethestars For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks changethestars, my GP already thinks I'm silly, as I took DS to her about 100 times last year when he got every virus under the sun!
    I think I will, but not sure exactly what she will do, but I guess it wont hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could always go to a different doctor?? Or a naturopath, homeopath or osteopath, if you are open to any of those??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to changethestars For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh also - children that age have difficulty localizing pain. They will often say they have a "sore tummy" regardless of where the pain actually is. So just because he isn't consistent, doesn't mean there isn't actually a pain.

Not trying to worry you! Just something to keep in mind

8. The Following User Says Thank You to changethestars For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you had a blood test done? It sounds like he is deficient in something? Get one done to check all his vitamin/mineral levels, I totally agree to go and see a naturopath ( they will ask you to get a full blood test done first anyway)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would take him and if your GP just shrugs you off take him somewhere until someone listens. You sound worried, you should trust yourself. You know your sone better than anyone else, get it checked out. So what if all the tests come back negative, at least you will be able to sleep at night knowing that you did what you thought was right. Good luck

12. The Following User Says Thank You to grass is always greener For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dark circles under eyes and fatigue are good indicators that something is off. What is his fluid intake/output like (kidneys). I would try a multivitamin and insist on bloodtests, it may just be a virus hanging around. Also try innerhealth plus to boost his immune system. Trust your intuition, nobody knows your son like you do. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! I was wondering a bit this was just a developmental thing, terrible 2's and all that, and everyone would say, oh yeah, my son went through all that and now he's fine, but as no one has said that, I am convinced that I need to get him checked.
    DH thinks there is nothing wrong with him, but doesn't spend as much time with him as me.
    I think I'll start with the GP, and if I need to consider a naturopath. I'm not all that into alternative medicine, but have had good experiences with naturopaths before, I think they are often better at getting the full story and recognising nutritional deficiencies etc. Anyone have any recommendations for a good naturopath in Brisbane?
    Thanks for the info on the localising pain thing, changethestars, that makes sense.
    I have been giving him a multivitamin for a while, since he kept getting sick last year, and now he likes the taste! Might try the inner health plus.
    Fluid intake is pretty good, although he has given up bottles lately and now no longer drinks much milk, I think he is making up for it with water. He's toilet training at the moment, and certainly needs to pee regularily enough!
    I've got a dr.'s appointment for DD's immunisations in a couple of weeks time, might try to add DS to the appointment then, rather than lugging both of them to the dr's twice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It could be an issue with sleeping - while he might be getting lots of it, it could be poor in quality.

DD had lots of dark marks under her eyes, and was often tired... for her, it was sleep apnoea as a result of really large tonsils. Does he snore or make loud breathing noises when sleeping? If so, it could be an indication that this is his issue.

For my daughter, it was resolved with the removal of her tonsils and adenoids.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post: