+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default First Trimester Weight Gain

Hi All,

I'm 8 weeks 6 days, and already gained 3.5kg! I know how - a combination of Xmas dinners over two days with my family and DH's families (1kg right there ) and the rest is probably my grazing habits that I've developed to fend off MS.
    I am a bit over average height and slim to begin with (BMI 19.5), but still read in my baby books that you should only gain 1-2kg first trimester and some even lose. At this rate I'll be at a 4-5kg gain at the end of my first trimester!

Will quicker gain early 'even out' through the rest of pregnancy? (Given I stick to my pregnancy adjusted calories) or is this extra just that, extra!?

Thanks ladies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It can depend on your starting weight how much is "normal" to put on. Type in ******* weight gain to google and you will get a calculator. My weight gain has definitely slowed down since passing 12 weeks as I am no longer eating any more than I used to, although am allowing myself to eat more things that I didn't before, like pasta, more dairy and some occasional chocolate!! I wouldn't worry too much. You do need to eat more to keep nausea at bay. Just try to make good food choices rather than junk i.e fruit, yoghurt, cereal, nuts rather than junk. Most of the time anyway!!

Hmm the website name got edited so I'm not sure about the rules around this. Maybe because it was searchable. It's k i d s p o t. If this gets removed too then PM me!
    Last edited by kw123; 29-01-2012 at 09:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't worry too much - it can even out. Hold on for the next trimester and you should be able to eat a little more like pre pregnancy (not dealing with ms)

With ds, I lost 7kg in the first trimester. By the end I was 22kg above pre preg weight. No gd or anything, and I've been lucky that it mostly came off naturally.

Im finding that grapes & strawberries are great snacks this time around

Mummy & Daddy - expanding our family! Our little man born April 2011 and now expecting another munchkin in August 2012! Loving it!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first I put in 5kg every tri. The first was just ms eating. I lost the 15+another 5 after bub.
    I'm 11weeks today and only put on 1kg but I have been more careful at what & how much I eat to keep ms at bay. I found sipping on diet cordial helped only 4 cals a drink there

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first I put on 5kg every tri. The first was just ms eating. I lost the 15+another 5 after bub.
    I'm 11weeks today and only put on 1kg but I have been more careful at what & how much I eat to keep ms at bay. I found sipping on diet cordial helped only 4 cals a drink there

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's different for everyone and their different bodies. I've got a very high BMI and I think I initially lost 1 kg and then gained 1.5kg back on at almost 12 weeks. Don't think doc wanted me to gain any at all if anything aim to
    loose weight. My book says 5kg is healthy at first trimester, 20 at end but my nutritionist wants me to aim at no more than 9kg at the end, 15kg Is Max. It's all upto your body. As long as your trying to eat healthy and drink as much water your probably doing amazing!

Expecting our first on the 14th of August..

Sent from IPhone using Bubhub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And If your of slimmer build then your baby probably wants you to store the excess weight and fat storage to help you provide for them. My friend was a size 8 pre-preg, turned into size 16 end of pregnancy (gained 30kg i think) but then after 3 weeks of breast feeding has almost lost it all allready! So it was healthy for her and her bub.

Expecting our first on the 14th of August..

Sent from IPhone using Bubhub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the replies!
    I've tried to keep the grazing snacks healthy - celery, carrot, crackers, up & go. Chocolate occasionally slips in there . I never used to snack at all, just the three meals got me through, damn MS...
    That's good to know someone had even weight gain through pregnancy and that its quite different for everyone. I think these pregnancy books should definately emphasise that!