+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Anyone studying Psychology?

I completed a Bach of Social Science last year majoring in Human Resource Management. My passion has always been psychology and i'm wondering how hard it would be to start studying something else? I have 3 kids and a husband who i'm full time carer too, but my degree doesn't automatically get me a good job in any field, i'm hoping it will allow me to do a graduate degree in psychology, but i was wondering if there are any other psychologists on the hub?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm studying psychology with a double
    Major in criminology and justice. I LOVE it!! Only 3 semesters left until I graduate and I'm definitely doing my fourth year because I enjoy it so much.
    Good luck with your studies if you decide to go into psych! The first year is pretty tedious but once you get into your 2nd year it gets really interesting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I studied one or two psych subjects in my previous degree as electives and I really enjoyed it, i used to think i wanted to do criminology etc aswell, but i might look into neuropsych as my DH has a brain injury i'm pretty fascinated about how the whole thing works lol Good on you for nearly finishing. Do you study on campus, or by distance? I'm in QLD and not sure which Uni has a program i wanna do. Looks like i'd qualify for a graduate diploma in psych which would then mean i can apply for honours but you have to get a really good GPA to get in as it's competitive. I really wanna get a good job out of it if i go ahead with it.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There are a few on here that I can think of, so hopefully they see this thread

I did social science too, with a double major in criminology and psychology. I did that degree specifically for the area I wanted to work in, and have had great job opportunities...I really wasn't a fan of the psychology part actually, but a few of my uni friends loved it

Regarding employment though, a senior lecturer recently told me that the field is quite saturated at the moment - what areas are you interested in working in?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

V8 (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    I studied one or two psych subjects in my previous degree as electives and I really enjoyed it, i used to think i wanted to do criminology etc aswell, but i might look into neuropsych as my DH has a brain injury i'm pretty fascinated about how the whole thing works lol Good on you for nearly finishing. Do you study on campus, or by distance? I'm in QLD and not sure which Uni has a program i wanna do. Looks like i'd qualify for a graduate diploma in psych which would then mean i can apply for honours but you have to get a really good GPA to get in as it's competitive. I really wanna get a good job out of it if i go ahead with it.
    Actually, neuropsychology is quite interesting One of the things which stood out the most from my degree was the story of Phineas Gage, who's behaviour was affected following an ABI, consequently altering our perception of the brain and how damage to it can affect personality etc.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 26-01-2012 at 16:26.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

V8 (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Neuropsych, people with brain injuries perhaps as i have first hand experience dealing with someone with an acquired brain injury

Thanks
    Reviews
    My partner is a provisionally registered psychologist. He did a 4 year degree (including honours), which he finished in 2010.

He loves the work, but his biggest criticism is that there are not many options to get registered unless you do your masters, and that masters places at good unis are in short supply, but the financial drain of studying for 6 years full time.

He had a GPA of 6 in his honours, but he needed a 7 to get into masters at his uni (UQ). he probably could have done masters at another uni, but we couldn't afford for him to spend another 2 years studying full time.

So he did the 4 + 2 option, which is the 4 years study plus 2 years supervised work. The problem is that they have now made the supervision regime so onerous that almost nobody offers them. He was very lucky to get a supervised job, as it was with his former employer so he knew them. On top of his normal workload, he is meant to keep a log, do assignments etc. he struggles to keep up with that and his family commitments. Plus the graduate play is bad. His is about $45k pa, (fte, as he only works 4 days) and he has to pay for his own registration and some of his continuing professional development costs (he has to do 60 hours pa as he is provisionally registered, whereas registered pschys do 30 ps, from memory). It's probably going to cost a couple of thousand dollars to do his CPD.

And there is also the issue that if you don't do your masters, you can't call yourself a clinical psychologist and there's a slight difference in medicare rebates, even though they do exactly the same job.

But, he loves the work, and once he is registered, his pay will increase.

But, yeah, it's a long haul. I'm a lawyer, and it's easier to become a lawyer (4 year degree + 1 year max training, and your employer generally pays for your practising certificating, professional memberships and CPD (only 10 hours pa), and the pay is better. But psych is probably more interesting and rewarding.

once you actually get registered, there appear to be quite a few jobs. It's just employers don't want the onus of the supervision.

(sorry, for the long rant - I hear it so often from my partner that I know it verbatim!)
    Last edited by MsMummy; 26-01-2012 at 16:29.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

V8 (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^ Yeah it is a *long* haul, my friend just finished her masters, so it's been 6 years of study and research thus far.

The extensive studying and subsequent salary is part of the reason I was turned off doing the full psych (I originally started off doing the full psych degree - 3 years + honours), along with not enjoying it as much. I am also appallingly bad at maths, so struggled a lot with statistics.

If you have a strong interest though, the long haul is worth it for a career you will love

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah statistics suck lol
    I did my first year on campus full time, then had DD so switched to online and only 2 units per sem, but gradually built back up to 4 units per sem still online.
    Have plans to do 4th year to become accredited, then work and gain experience so I can eventually do my masters and finally doctorate in forensic psych. That's the plan anyway, but that's a long way off. I'll just be happy to graduate with my BA.
    I'm in WA so don't have any suggestions for uni's in Queensland unfortunately. Neuropsych would be fascinating though!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    My partner is a provisionally registered psychologist. He did a 4 year degree (including honours), which he finished in 2010.

He loves the work, but his biggest criticism is that there are not many options to get registered unless you do your masters, and that masters places at good unis are in short supply, but the financial drain of studying for 6 years full time.

He had a GPA of 6 in his honours, but he needed a 7 to get into masters at his uni (UQ). he probably could have done masters at another uni, but we couldn't afford for him to spend another 2 years studying full time.

So he did the 4 + 2 option, which is the 4 years study plus 2 years supervised work. The problem is that they have now made the supervision regime so onerous that almost nobody offers them. He was very lucky to get a supervised job, as it was with his former employer so he knew them. On top of his normal workload, he is meant to keep a log, do assignments etc. he struggles to keep up with that and his family commitments. Plus the graduate play is bad. His is about $45k pa, (fte, as he only works 4 days) and he has to pay for his own registration and some of his continuing professional development costs (he has to do 60 hours pa as he is provisionally registered, whereas registered pschys do 30 ps, from memory). It's probably going to cost a couple of thousand dollars to do his CPD.

And there is also the issue that if you don't do your masters, you can't call yourself a clinical psychologist and there's a slight difference in medicare rebates, even though they do exactly the same job.

But, he loves the work, and once he is registered, his pay will increase.

But, yeah, it's a long haul. I'm a lawyer, and it's easier to become a lawyer (4 year degree + 1 year max training, and your employer generally pays for your practising certificating, professional memberships and CPD (only 10 hours pa), and the pay is better. But psych is probably more interesting and rewarding.

once you actually get registered, there appear to be quite a few jobs. It's just employers don't want the onus of the supervision.

(sorry, for the long rant - I hear it so often from my partner that I know it verbatim!)
    Woah, thanks so much, don't apologise for the long rant, that was really helpful as it's hard to get your head around what it actually qualifies you for and how much study is needed to become accredited. Not sure if i can make the committment and sacrifice to do it that way, so from what i understand you either have to do honours or a masters to be recognised as a psychologist?

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    ^^ Yeah it is a *long* haul, my friend just finished her masters, so it's been 6 years of study and research thus far.

The extensive studying and subsequent salary is part of the reason I was turned off doing the full psych (I originally started off doing the full psych degree - 3 years + honours), along with not enjoying it as much. I am also appallingly bad at maths, so struggled a lot with statistics.

If you have a strong interest though, the long haul is worth it for a career you will love
    I was talking with my friends friend a little while ago who is a neuropsych, she had to study in Perth and another city, it was very limited where she could do her degree i think, and jobs are hard to come by it seems. Hmmm might have to rethink a different post grad option. Teaching would be good but the pay isn't that great is it? I also suck at maths, i can't even do accounting subjects, they bore me to death! lol

Quote Originally Posted by A's Mummy View Post
    Yeah statistics suck lol
    I did my first year on campus full time, then had DD so switched to online and only 2 units per sem, but gradually built back up to 4 units per sem still online.
    Have plans to do 4th year to become accredited, then work and gain experience so I can eventually do my masters and finally doctorate in forensic psych. That's the plan anyway, but that's a long way off. I'll just be happy to graduate with my BA.
    I'm in WA so don't have any suggestions for uni's in Queensland unfortunately. Neuropsych would be fascinating though!!
    That's awesome, i hope you manage to do it all i'm so glad you know where you want to focus your career and degree, it's awesome, i was so glad to graduate after 7 years of studying, but i'm kinda feeling well now what? To get a job in Human Resources i still need to basically work my way up in the field, have some industry experience etc, and not really sure what direction to start with that?