Has anyone had this or known of anyone that had to have an induction due to a baby being small?
What are your experiences on this?
A brief of what is going on with me.......
I am due on the 3rd/4th of February with our first baby.
Our baby has measured small from the beginning and the first hospital we were going through, were fine and said we are just having a small baby. We moved interstate and changed hospitals and they have concerns on the size of the baby.
We had an obstetrician appointment yesterday and they have told me due to the size of the baby, they want me to be induced early next week (which is not too much earlier than my due date).
I was only 6pd 3oz when I was born. Although I am not small in figure now.
DH and I have been asking the doctor's, midwives, etc. questions about why we have to be induced and they just keep coming back with "The baby is small for where it should be at this stage of the pregnancy", no other reason. The obstetrician we saw last week said "You are too big in size to be having a baby of that size" (That is the nice version of what he actually said).
Proportion size of the baby is all within range of each other. All monitoring of myself and bubs levels and health has been great and they have been happy with how it is all going.
So here we are being told we are to be induced for no other reason than a small baby and it has us a bit concerned.
Can anyone help in the advice department on this one.
Thank you in advance.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
26-01-2012 11:09 #1
Has anyone had an induction due to small baby......
26-01-2012 11:42 #2
Bump... Sorry no help. Mine was the opposite. Hugs
26-01-2012 11:45 #3
Can u go for a second opinion somewhere? What's your fundal height been like? Fluid levels? I would of thought if they were worried about bibs weight they would of put you on bed rest or something first..
Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
26-01-2012 11:54 #4
Have you had an US to check the size of bubs? I would be saying NO to an induction based purely on the subjective assessment of your fundal height.
26-01-2012 13:07 #5
Yeah that's a bit odd.
I was measuring small for a good few weeks. They just gave me an ultrasound every 1-2 weeks to keep an eye on it. There were concerns that over a two week period bubs had only grown like a weeks worth. Then the scan showed he'd stopped growing altogether. They induced then (with only a week til my due date) because they were concerned the placenta was failing. He was a touch under 6 pounds at birth.
But that wasn't just because he was a small baby. As far as they were concerned as long as there was still growth then it was still ok. I would guess that maybe your Ob is worried that by leaving it, you may get to the point where baby stops growing at all, which would be considered dangerous. If you can't get a second opinion elsewhere, I'd be demanding an answer from your Ob as o what exactly is worrying them so much, because what they're telling you is not enough information at all
Best of luck! Best wishes for a healthy bub
The Following User Says Thank You to Arusaamatus For This Useful Post:
26-01-2012 15:01 #6
I was induced with twins cause one hadn't grown in two weeks an they said they could do more for the baby out than in.
26-01-2012 15:03 #7
Thank you for your responses.
I moved from Qld to Vic at 35 weeks pregnant and I made appointments for Vic hospitals when I was 20 weeks and the hospital I got into was the 4th hospital I tried and it seems that they were the only one able to take me in.
The new hospital did a scan at 36 weeks but have said I do not need another scan. They have all the documents from previous scan results from Qld. My scans throughout have been consistent regarding a small baby but baby has been growing and proportion size has been balanced accordingly.
During the scan they did mention that the kidney's looked enlarged but made me walk around for 30 minutes as they said it could have just been that baby hadn't urinated. When they rescanned 30 minutes later the kidneys were reduced in size again but still just a tiny bit over in size, when I asked them if this was a reason to induce me, they told me it has nothing to do with being induced early.
I have found that every time they measure the fundal height, each person measures it differently but majority of the time it has measured accurately.
They were happy with my fluid levels and said there is sufficient amounts of fluid.
No bed rest orders have been given.
Arusaamatus: Thank you for sharing your story with me. How was your little boy now? Did he have any issues when he was born?
I have to see the midwives tomorrow who are meant to be organising the date for induction but I will question the situation even further as DH and I are at a stand still with not completely knowing what is going and we just want to do what is right and best for baby.
Thank you all again for your advice, etc. It's good to have insight from others.
26-01-2012 15:06 #8Senior Member
- Join Date
- Oct 2008
I was induced with my first bub at 37 weeks because he was small, but the induction was based on factual evidence that there was a medical issue causing him to stop growing. I had quite a few scans during the last trimister which showed towards the end that:
1. The growth percentile was going down at each scan
2. Cord blood flow studies were ok however there were calcification spots all over the placenta
3. Amniotic fluid levels were low
All of the above = IUGR (Interuterine growth restriction) so I had an emergency induction as it was deemed unsafe to proceed any further with the pregnancy.
With my 2nd pregnancy I had an emergency C/S at 36 weeks as again my bub had IUGR.
Some ladies have small babies and according to my OB fundal height is irrelevant as if the baby is progressing well and there are no placental issues then the baby should go full term. If you have not had a diagnostic ultrasound I would demand it before you agree to be induced.
Also both of my bubs were 5 pound 5 ounces and aside from a few minor issues at birth (low blood sugar, unable to maintain body temp and few days later jaundice - which even big babies get) they were both fine and had no breathing issues and did not require admission to the special care nursery. But in saying that geez I was pleased my OB got them out when he did as on both occassions my placenta was completley shot
The Following User Says Thank You to lovelymum For This Useful Post:
26-01-2012 15:51 #9
He did have troubles during labour, he struggled with the full dose of syntocinon and each contraction his heart rate dropped. My midwives dropped the level until he was comfortable and worked their way up from there. So even though it was slow going once I had the epidural things progressed really well. He scored an APGAR of 10 and 9 and didn't need to spend any time in the neonatal unit despite what the doctors expected. My midwives were fantastic the whole time though, even when they told us they wanted to induce him ASAP, they explained why. They made sure I was comfortable with what they were telling me and were open to me asking questions (even though I don't remember having any, those few days are a bit of a blur ). I'd be worried that your experience may not be the same. From the sounds of it your Ob may decide to do a C-section at the first sign of trouble, rather than take his time and try for a natural birth. I could be wrong though, but it's something to think about.
As for the few days after DS was born, we were in hospital for 5 nights as he was losing too much weight. I was trying to breastfeed but he was just too small to latch on. The doctors were saying that if he lost anymore they'd have to take him to the neonatal unit so I decided to express feed instead (it lasted two days ) The day after we left hospital I felt so horrible about it all I gave up on even express feeding (the whole process just takes sooo long, and I like sleeping more than 30 minutes at a time ) he ended up being formula fed.
I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow. Stick to your guns as best you can, I know it's easier said than done. It's going to be really hard and you'll probably feel guilty about any decision you make, trying to figure out if it's the best thing to do. Just know you can only do the best with what you've got, once I realised that I calmed down immensely You have every right to get all the information you can so that YOU can make an informed decision. You're full-term now though, so everything that the baby needs to develop has been done, it's just a matter of getting some fat on those bones, it's possible that the doctors just think it will gain weight better outside the womb than in.
Gods... I talk ... so much... Good luck over the coming weeks, I'm really excited for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Arusaamatus For This Useful Post:
By Buttoneska in forum InductionReplies: 19Last Post: 10-10-2012, 22:33
By MelissaD in forum Pregnancy & Birth General ChatReplies: 10Last Post: 22-12-2011, 11:02
L'il Aussie Prems FoundationAn Australian charity supporting families of premature babies & children. The charity assists families who are at ...
LATESTWhy it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at home
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Using home equityFamily Finances
Inheritance WWYDGeneral Chat
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
The Word Association Game #24Games & fun stuff
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
ongoing chat threadGeneral Chat
Miracle March TTC and Testing ChatConception & Fertility General Chat