+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 10week old not feeding properly?

hiya, my 10week old daughter used to take 6oz of milk every 3-4 hours and since she had her firsts jabs she will not take no more than 2-3oz every 4-5 hours....ive tried swapping bottles like hospital advised and that hasnt made any difference at all, ive stopped giving her gaviscon she was on to stop her being so sicky and im just getting really worried now, shes got baby clinic later to see if shes still putting on weight and that but im really confussed as to why she is like this? how can she go from being a greedy baby one min to not being interested the next? any one got any advice? x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How long ago was the jabs? She may still be feeling unwell, also gaviscon isn't something that should be used long term if it just to stop her spilling, she would either need a thickener or could she have actual reflux? As I know my ds's reflux use to play up after the jabs

Yep, it's another iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    her jabs was last week on wednesday, shes not on gaviscon anymore been told to keep her off it n feed her every 3 hours for 2 weeks n see if she puts any weight on but no one is telling me whats causing it? dont know about the reflux no one has told me anything about that either lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reflux is the regurgitation of acid stomach contents back into the oesophagus, and is the cause of heartburn & burning feeling that wells up from the pit of the stomach, and travels up your chest and into your throat. Not all babies with reflux will spill, Silent reflux is know to cause all the pain without showing showing signs of spilling.

Signs that a baby may have reflux:
    • Your baby may suffer from obvious pain
    • Your baby may cry constantly or suddenly begin screaming
    • Your baby may be generally irritable.
    • Your baby may vomit frequently (generally after a feed)
      This vomiting may be a gentle spill (positing) or projectile.
    • You may find your baby has problems with feeding, such as:
      -wanting to feed all the time for comfort
      -wanting to not feed at all
      -crying during feeding or after feeding
      -they may pull away while feeding and arch their back.
    • They may have poor sleep patterns such as catnapping during the day and frequent waking at night. Some refluxers however, do sleep well at night.
    More serious symptoms are:
    • Weight loss or not gaining weight
    • Recurrent chest infections
    • Vomit with blood products in it.
    • Respiratory issues such as choking, wheezing, cyanosis, or apnoea.
    If you are concerned about your baby, or if they display any of these more serious symptoms you should seek immediate medical advice.

I'm not saying that you child may have reflux, but thought i would let you know a little more about it as i find it odd that she would be put onto gaviscon for 'spilling' but refuses to feed when off it.

In my own experience, DS started gaviscon at week 4 for showing signs of reflux such as, not being able to sleep flat, pulling away and arching back while feeding and slowed weight gain, but he had no spilling. The gaviscon worked instantly and he was on that for a few weeks (7 weeks old) before refusing to feed, he would only drink 50mls tops at a time and this continued for 3 months until the right reflux meds were found. Even with the right reflux meds i found that during times of vacs or teething that his reflux would flare up and for a few days.

Hopefully she starts feeding better soon and it may be related to the vacs as i know with the later month once that the reactions can happen 5 or so days later. I'm sorry i have no other advise to give... they only thing that i felt help was to always listen to your gut feeling when it comes to your child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks hun thats helped alot she has alot of symptoms of reflux by the looks of it, another thing that is confusing me is that shes now started with really bad diahorea shes had it for over 24 hours so docs given her some diayalite but it says on box dont give to babys under 3 months?? shes only allowed a couple of sips tho but her poo is that watery i aint too sure if shes weeing, when i took her to docs tho she didnt seem bothered at all that she wasnt feeding that much n seemed to throw most of it up, she projectiles right good she could sling it across room lol!! x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could be just a tummy bug too. We had one of those last week and ds was vomiting up all bottles & wouldn't touch any solid food and had the poops too, and no other signs of illness ei red throat, ears, coughing etc.

Yep, it's another iPhone