+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Maybe people should learn first aid and cpr when they have kids, and learn.how to remain calm in an emergency.
    I agree that people should know first aid (whether parents or not), but think you misunderstood B&B's post. But I don't agree that you can learn how to remain calm. You either can or you can't. I don't think it's something you can learn if your natural instinct is to panic and go into that mode. I'm lucky that I am calm in a crisis, whether my kids or someone else is hurt, but not everyone is like that. I've seen the most confident people fall apart when faced with an emergency.

OP - I think you over-reacted too, and I can't help wonder where your 3yo was while this was happening? It sounds like your DS was in the normal pool? Alone? As in you weren't standing there with him? If that is the case, the life guard was well within their rights to ask you to supervise your child more closely. At 13 months, being over-confident in water is NOT a good thing. One slip is all it takes. Kids drown quickly and quietly whether someone is watching them or not. Unless you are right there to grab them, it could be too late. My DS is 2 and confident in water, but there is no way he would be roaming the shallows by himself whether he wanted to or not. It's just too dangerous. I may not hold him the whole time, but I would only be a step behind him.

Even if you were right there, the LG was only enforcing the pools rules. And looking out for your child. I think you should be grateful that they were and not come on here and flame them for it. If the LG was "watching you like a hawk" I'm sure it wasn't out of spite or malice. They would have assessed that your child was at risk and were watching accordingly. Therefore doing their job.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In all honesty the young life saver was just doing her job, the rules state that little ones must be held and a good life saver will inforce them rules, Because god forbid you child slipped and went under it would be that young live saver having to do resus as a parent you would likely be to beside your self do it, This young life saver after saving your babies life would then have to explain to her bosses WHY she didnt inforce the rules, and if god forbid her and her work mates was not able to save your baby while waiting for an ambulance then it would be on that poor young girls head and she would have to live with that for the rest of her life.

Rules are there for a reason life guards can only do there job if people follow the rules, other wise its a free for all and they end up copping the sh*t for it and saving people that wouldnt need saving if they followed the rules.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Californication  (25-01-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (25-01-2012),Little-Pink-Hen  (26-01-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I don't know what to say to that. The parents are responsible for their own children. End of story. Maybe people should learn first aid and cpr when they have kids, and learn.how to remain calm in an emergency. What would they do at home if an accident happened in the bath tub, toilet, or any other are where there is water? No lifeguard there, only adults who need to take responsibility for their kids. Sorry, but I know where the lifeguard is coming from.

its not just about parents learning CPR I agree that ALL parents should learn it i beleive they should not leave the hospital till they know the basics but hey thats just me. BUT learning it and being able to do it can be to differnt things, I know CPR and have done it on my DD on a few occasions but i can tell you no matter how well versed you are on CPR and handling scary situations and not panicking it can still come over you and make it hard. Life guards are worth there weight in gold and so are ambos and i dont care how good some one is at CPR they need to follow the rules

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (25-01-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think everyone isn't understanding the OP. She is annoyed because she had to HOLD him the whole time. Not supervise him. She's not saying she wanted to sit on a seat and read NW mag. And now people are questioning where her other child was. Jeepers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

mamasurfs  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I think everyone isn't understanding the OP. She is annoyed because she had to HOLD him the whole time. Not supervise him. She's not saying she wanted to sit on a seat and read NW mag. And now people are questioning where her other child was. Jeepers.
    no not at all, My understanding is she was anoyed that the 17 year old life guard told her she had to hold her baby all the time, I dont see that as an issue as they can fall so quick and drown

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (25-01-2012),PuppyGuts  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just spent two days in hospital with my 2.5 year old as he slipped in the pool and his head submerged and he breathed water into his lungs. I was standing right next to him and picked him up straight away, and it happened in about 3 seconds. He is ok, spent some time on oxygen, but I should have been holding him, or holding his hand. He is very confident in water and swims well. Don't become complacent, accidents happen so quickly, little ones need very close supervision...

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tides For This Useful Post:

DQ  (26-01-2012),Gandalf  (26-01-2012),MissMuppet  (26-01-2012),Mod-biscotti  (26-01-2012),PuppyGuts  (26-01-2012),share a book  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't understand the problem with holding a wee bub when in water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    No, I think people get that. A 13mth old should be held when in the big pool (with a shallow and deep) whether he screams or not. And if she has a 3 year old, especially so because she needs to watch the 3 year old too so her attention is split. The life guard was just enforcing pool rules.

Not to say I don't sympathise. Its really tricky taking two littlies to the pool and its embarrassing to be pulled up on something.

I think people forget how dangerous pools can be though, and how quickly things can go terribly wrong. Thanks to the posters who've shared their personal stories of tragedies (or near misses) because it helps remind me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    No, I think people get that. A 13mth old should be held when in the big pool (with a shallow and deep) whether he screams or not. And if she has a 3 year old, especially so because she needs to watch the 3 year old too so her attention is split. The life guard was just enforcing pool rules.

Not to say I don't sympathise. Its really tricky taking two littlies to the pool and its embarrassing to be pulled up on something.

I think people forget how dangerous pools can be though, and how quickly things can go terribly wrong. Thanks to the posters who've shared their personal stories of tragedies (or near misses) because it helps remind me.
    Where are you getting your information? How do you know she was alone? How do you know where her three year old was? The OP might have had friends there with her. She also stated she takes her children to the pools once a week. She also said this was not her normal pool, so therefore wasn't aware of the rules. I think her issue is the way she was spoken to, and she just wanted a vent. People have made some very broad statements from the OP's one post.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Gruffalo  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    So i took DD and DS to the indoor pools(a different one than we usually go to) today. It was great UNTIL...

So DS is only 13 months but VERY confident in the water (sometimes a little too much), he likes to wade around the shallows by himself. Im happy to let him do this. I feel it boosts his confidence...and also, he hates the deep end and cries non-stop if i hold him. So im letting DS wade around...my eyes are on him AT ALL TIMES and the 'lifeguard' (who was no more than 16 years old) says in a rear snotty tone 'you HAVE to hold him'. The she watches me like a hawke for the next HOUR making sure im holding him (i am and he cried constantly).

NOW, we go to the pools at least once a week so im FULLY aware of what hes capable of!!! Im NOT an idiot...im NOT going to leave my ONE year old UNSUPERVISED in the water!!!

So to you, 16 year old 'lifeguard', please tell me exactly what the problem was...the fact that you actually had to do YOUR JOB and watch the swimmers!!!!!!

Dont get me wrong, water safety is important but do I thnk i know what my child is and isnt capable of BETTER THAN YOU!!!!

Sorry, vent over!!!

i want to know how you were not taking your eyes off him if you had your 3 year old too? i have a 16 month old and i let her walk but i am next to her at all times...no way i could watch a 3 year old too...not possible!!

the life guard def knows your child's limits better than you imo...you are vastly overestimating his ability....even you said he is overconfident!!

i think take this as a timely warning to be more careful with babies and water. it's not the walking about that is the issue...its the unexpected slip or your other child needing you in an emergency.