Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No, we aren't going to have a crash

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Yes I do. I think we are headed for very difficult times. It will start with Europe (it's already has) move to Asia and once Asia goes so do we.
    Unemployment will rise like it already is with major companies slashing jobs e.g Toyota, westpac etc with many other banks to follow. 30000 jobs where lost before CHristmas and I think that is just the beginning.
    Its not a good thing. Yes house prices will go down but so will wages and jobs.

As crazy as it sounds I believe we are moving into a new era financial.

Many real estate agents or people working in the finance industry say Australia is unique it is not. We have a major property bubble that will crash. Along with the rest of the country. We are not special or immune to a crash.

Its just a matter of time. I think 2-3 years at most.

Call me crazy but I think we are headed for WW3. America has to get out of the sh!t somehow.

Scuse picking this out but I think this is oldstyle thinking.

Toyota has slashed jobs because this is not a style of employment with a longterm future in Australia.

New jobs are opening up in areas all the time - those required higher levels of engineering expertise, online entrepeneuring, etc etc.

America is going down, Europe is going down, Asia is booming - the Korean economy is BOOMING. Australia is positioned to rock out the 21st century.

Our workforce demographic is *changing* - focussing on the loss of old, less skilled jobs due to the strong Aussie dollar is going to mislead you.

It's all good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Very interesting replies. Thanks everyone!

Bump for the morning hubbers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't think so and hope not!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're clinging on to the hope that there will be a crash - back to prices of say the early 90's.
    It would be good for us, currently not being able to afford a house or a loan.
    Apparently the market in our area is pretty unstable, as there are no jobs and people are leaving...resulting in empty rental properties and lots of houses for sale.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Scuse picking this out but I think this is oldstyle thinking.

Toyota has slashed jobs because this is not a style of employment with a longterm future in Australia.

New jobs are opening up in areas all the time - those required higher levels of engineering expertise, online entrepeneuring, etc etc.

America is going down, Europe is going down, Asia is booming - the Korean economy is BOOMING. Australia is positioned to rock out the 21st century.

Our workforce demographic is *changing* - focussing on the loss of old, less skilled jobs due to the strong Aussie dollar is going to mislead you.

It's all good
    Thats ok We can agree to disagree.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. Australia's got a housing shortage. The economy isn't great but interest rates are and that's what's keeping the housing market going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    My husband also is a fanatical reader/researcher

We are selling/have sold all our properties (bar our principal place of residence) and moving our money elsewhere
    We are doing the same, property is on the market at the moment and then going to move our money elsewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    No. Australia's got a housing shortage. The economy isn't great but interest rates are and that's what's keeping the housing market going.
    I beg to differ. Interest rates are low which means people can currently afford to service large mortgages on over-inflated property prices. Some people can also afford to negative gear and back to back loan to purchase several houses and investment portfolios, forcing others out of the market. I'm not entirely sure about the 'housing shortage' you are referring to, unless you mean shortage of unaffordable houses - because prices have been so inflated?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There is currently a housing shortage in some area's (Newcastle nsw) compared to other (point cook Vic)