+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Acne treatment in the lead-up to and while TTC

Hello
    I've just joined because I have my first TTC-related question... My husband and I are going to start TTC in June/July this year.
    In Feb 2011, I went off the pill for a few months to give my body a rest from it, however the acne that I developed around my jawline and neck was so horrible that I had to go back on the pill after about 3 months off it. I also began taking Doxycycline, which has had amazing results and my skin is almost clear, I still have some scarring but get very few new pimples. I'm also using Benzac AC face wash which has made a drastic change to my skin, I use St Ives Green Tea Scrub daily also. Every product I use on my skin is oil free.
    I'm 99% sure that Doxycycline is not safe for use during pregnancy, and obviously I'll have to go off the pill when we begin to TTC. So has anyone been under similar circumstances, and what have you done to control your acne, is there a pregnancy-safe medication for acne treatment? My GP has advised that it is Hormonal acne, which has me worried that I might have some kind of hormonal imbalance which will prevent us from falling pregnant easily... oh and also both of my sisters have PCOS! Gosh can't believe how much there is to consider when it comes time to think about babies!!
    Look forward to hearing your advice/stories

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi! Welcome

I started breaking out when I went off the pill in July, and it got worse and worse. I was on Eryacne (which is safe during pregnancy) but that wasn't doing anything. Someone on here suggested washing my face with bi carb soda, and toning with apple cider vinegar. And you know what? It works! I still get a few here and there but it's nothing compared to what it was. I was on everything oil free too, but the bi carb really worked. Give it a try

I would also get checked out for PCOS too, considering you have a family history. No point finding out later than necessary!

Moonie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi JR03,
    I'm was in a similar situation to yourself -I went on the pil at 16 to control my acne and went off in June 11 to try to fall pregnant. I was told the acne was a hormonal issue and I worried about falling pregnant, but I did in my 5th cycle. My acne started not long after I went off the pill and has still continued -I'm 13 weeks. Whilst I haven't found the magic solution for acne yet - I might have to try the remedy above - PCOS aside, the hormonal acne doesn't necessarily mean you will have trouble conceiving. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi and Welcome,

I have PCOS too (mild, but I do get the acne around the jawline especially). I took Metformin when I came off the pill the first time to conceive and I got regular (31 day) cycles - when I came off the pill when I wasn't TTC but wanted to cycle track, I got no period for 4 months and ended up going back on the pill.

So I went to the GP to see if I could go back on Metformin as I am on the mini pill now but acne was flaring up again. She told me that a) I couldn't take metformin as I am breastfeeding, but that also b) metformin doesn't help with the acne but it will help with other symptoms of PCOS. So she prescribed a new cream which has clindamycin (antibiotic) and benzoyl peroxide and is a once daily cream that needs to be kept in the fridge. I'd never heard of it before, I believe it is new-ish. It was quite expensive though (maybe $35 for the tube but you use a tiny bit each night) but it has worked SO well and SO quickly. She also knows that I am TTC now and she wouldn't have prescribed it if it wasn't safe (for TTC at least.)

I agree with Moonie, push for the GP to investigate the possible PCO/hormonal issues ASAP - a lot of the tests need to be done at certain times of the cycle and you might find it takes a while to even get your period back from coming off the pill. If you then find out it may be more difficult you want to know that asap. I'm sure it will all be fine but there's nothing worse than feeling in a rush but you can't do things straight away. If you do have PCO, then at least it's one of the easiest things to treat from a FS point of view so don't worry!

Make sure you have a good relationship with your GP too - I changed mine after pregnancy as I'd moved, and recently I felt I really had to fight to get some hormones tested, where as my last GP would have given me a blood form in a heartbeat. This GP told me to 'wait 3 months' to see if I get a period before she would do any tests, but I wasn't going to take that for an answer. I'm informed though, and I hate to think that people who didn't know what to ask for would be brushed off. So, demand investigations and from personal experience I'd recommend coming off the pill if you are TTC (or planning for the near future and a suprise pregnancy in the meantime wouldn't be a bad thing) as your body (frustratingly) does things in its own time! Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry for the delay in responding, every time I remember to respond its on my iphone and for some reason it doesn't work!
    I went to see my doctor on Saturday morning who said that because of my symptoms, she wants me to have a blood test to look into PCOS and anything else that might cause these problems. Unfortunately I'd already eaten breakfast that day so couldn't have the blood test done then, so have to go back this Saturday morning, then back again next week for the results.
    Looking forward to possibly having this sorted out soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's great you're getting tests done. One thing you can also try - buy some medihoney (not normal honey) and put it on as a mask while in the shower. Wash it off a few mins later. It's antibacterial properties really help clear pimples

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub