+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Those that make their own baby food...

What is your system? How do you make, store, reheat and serve your food? What works for you?

My DD will be starting solids in the near future. Before I go out and buy a whole heap of processors and containers that I won't use, I want to do my research asking the people who actually use the stuff, not the people trying to sell it to me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What I used to do. I had a baby steamer/blender but you can use a normal steamer and blender

I would steam up one type of veggies it fruit than blend. Pour them in ice cube trays. Than freeze them. Once frozen. I would pop them all in to a snap lock bag and store in freezer so I had a bag of
    Apples
    Banana
    Pear
    Strawberries
    Berries
    Mango
    Carrot
    Broccoli and cauliflower mixed
    Peas
    Corn
    Pumpkin
    Potato
    Sweet potato
    I would do meat this way too
    And would boil up cup of cus cus or pasta and store in fridge for a 2-3 days to stir with the veggies

I did them all individually so she had variety and I could see which foods she like or of she reacted to foods

I would normal give her 3-4 fruit cubes. Or 1-2 with cereal
    4-5 veggies for dinner/lunch with pasta later on than meat.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

northern  (23-01-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I cook large batches in a normal pot, then puree in a food processor. I then spoon into icecube trays or flexible muffin trays which go into the freezer. When frozen I turn these portions out into ziplock bags and keep in the freezer. Then microwave as needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I make all of DS's food. I make a whole heap of veggies and fruit, mix together a few different varieties and freeze it. Then i just pop it in the microwave at meal times.

I didn't buy expensive containers.. actually most of the ones i use are the reusable ones like chinese containers from Woolies. I grabbed some today... 8 for $4.. bargain

It's much easier to make a whole heap to do you a week or so rather than doing it everyday
    Last edited by insanity; 22-01-2012 at 22:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did use the aventi stack and store cups though too. If we were going out for dinner/lunch/breakfast to a restaurant (or when she started solids at day care) I heat them up hotter than usual or defrost them and ask the kitchen to quickly zap them so she had her own food and put them in the aventi cups to carry in baby bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used a covered ice cube tray at the start, then moved onto the small Decor containers. 8 years later and I still have them, and they weren't expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Target has a steamer/blender on sale at the moment for $70 half price

I would steam, blend and freeze in a normal ice tray then once frozen I would transfer into zip lock bags.

If I was going out I would put a couple of cubes in an avent cup.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did similar for DD1. Just boiled/steamed varieties of fruit/vegetables and blended them (I just used a little handheld blender). I used to put it all into little containers (I had heaps of mini containers!) but I think the previous ideas are probably better... Pumpkin and apple seemed to be the favourites here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I bought that avent steamer/blender but ended up doing baby led weaning so never puréed a thing! I just steamed or roasted fresh veggies every 2 days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I bought that avent steamer/blender but ended up doing baby led weaning so never puréed a thing! I just steamed or roasted fresh veggies every 2 days
    I did that with DD2...