+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2 year old obsessed with tv

my 2 year old ds is obsessed with tv!! and I mean OBSESSED!! if it is not on he screams kicks cries till he is almost sick, I have tried ignoring these tantrums but they can go strong for over an hour
    he recently started family daycare and I had to go pick him up early cause they wouldn't put the tv on and he. had a melt down
    I has tried ignoring him, I have tried distracting him.with games puzzles food anything you can think of
    please I am tearing my hair out HELP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think unfortunately, the only thing you can really do is just stay strong and persist, no matter how bad the tantrums get and how long he carries on for. If you give in to the tantrum, it will just teach him that all he has to do is carry on for a bit and then he will get his way. If he was a little older I would suggest coming to some sort of compromise, like if he is good all day he can watch a movie/show after dinner, but at 2 years old he is probably a little too young to understand. It will take some time, but if you don't give in, then eventually he'll realise that it's not worth chucking a tantrum over. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is it a visual thing or sound? Would playing music be a compromise?

We run one of the foxtel radio/music channels through the tv (it's music with no ads or commentary) all day so there is not just silence but playing the radio or CDs could also work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with music or even audio books to avoid silence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by davally View Post
    Is it a visual thing or sound? Would playing music be a compromise?

We run one of the foxtel radio/music channels through the tv (it's music with no ads or commentary) all day so there is not just silence but playing the radio or CDs could also work.
    I've tried music

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is a bit the same, since I had DD he has been watching a LOT more TV while I feed her to sleep or do washing, cleaning. He is not very good at amusing himself with toys. I am about to cut him down to only one show a day (Giggle and Hoot bedtime hour from 6-7) and thats all. I will attempt this next week and will try to just explain to him that he is only allowed to watch the tv at night before bed as long as he has already had dinner and a bath by then (it will cut into the hour of tv if its not already done.)

Stay strong and either go cold turkey (no TV at all to break the habit) or choose one show a day he can watch and thats it.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would put a blanket over the tv and say tvs sleeping now, that's what I did with my son when I thought he was watching to much tv, now he barely watches at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I reckon turn off the tv for a week or so. Tune out when the tantrums happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i agree with what the other posters have said, restricting tv for a week or so and diverting his attention elsewhere

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been through this with my 2 year old. So I just turn it off at the wall and say its broken and try distract him.