ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Saving on water and electricity.

My last couple of water and electricity bills have been through the roof so I am wondering what people do to help reduce the cost of water and electricity bills?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    these days does not matter what we do to reduce usage the companies just raise the costs

it will get to the point where we will just have to stop using lights tv's etc
    imagine the birth rates then oh but less water smelly people yuck

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just do the basics.. cut down on really long showers.. turn off lights.. turn off power points when we aren't using them..

Birdistheword is offline Frightened little child, bird is the word!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We turn off all lights except for a lamp at night. Turn switches off at the wall. Use blankets in winter instead of a heater (just think there were not heaters in the old days), wash by hand instad of using our dishwasher. Shower early morning or night so its cheaper for heating the water tank up. Go out in the rain to wash the car, Don't use the dryer - instead we hang on the line or hang up near windows on coat hangers...

I am sure there is more I just can't think lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Subscribing. Will add some tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I just do the basics as well. Lights are off if we aren't in the room, everything is turned off at the powerpoint when not in use. I don't own a dryer and try to only do full loads of washing.

I don't really go out of my way to try and save on water. I keep showers fairly short, i'm too lazy to wash the car reguarly and my washing machine is pretty water efficient. I got my first water bill ever not long ago. My usage was $13.30 for the month. So either I don't use a lot of water or its really cheap?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    - Use a car wash to wash the car. DF washes our cars at one, but he doesn't like the big brushes (they scratch, apparently) so he takes a bucket and sponge along.

- Use the eco or quick cycles on the washing machine and dishwasher

- Check for hidden leaks for water. Read your meter before going to bed and then again in the morning before any water is used (and obviously don't use any water over night). If the meter moves, you have a leak somewhere.

- Check toilets (notorious for leaks!) by putting some food colouring in the cistern and seeing is there is water leaking through - you'll see the colour.

- Get rid of the second fridge (if you have one) or get a newer model. Old fridges are energy suckers.

- Water saving shower heads

- Connect a grey water hose to your washing machine to water the lawn/plants with.

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lights and fans get turned off when not in the room.

Things that are not in constant use (tv in kids loungeroom, play station wii, toaster & kettle) all turned off at the power point.
    Oven and hot plate off at the wall after every use (drives people bonkers when they stay and try to cook.lol)

Only use our aircons when it's really needed...has to be close to 40 before we turn it on.

We rent and have never had an excess water bill.

Our main tv,dvd player & surround sound is plugged into a power saving board (DVD and surround on separate switch so they only come one when we are watching a DVD.

We don't leave our laptops on all day, on and off as we need them & run them off the battery not the wall when they r full until they are about to die.

Charge our mobiles more while driving to cut down time on charges at home.

We don't own a dryer, fan and a clothes airer works just as well.

Our bills are just either side of the $300 mark and we r a family of 4. Our bills are a lot smaller than most people we know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    find out from your supplier if you are on a flat rate or time of use.

if you are on time of use find out what the low rate period is and run all necessary appliances - dishwasher, washer, dryer etc at these times.

ive made a massive difference to our electricity bill by doing things by time of use

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don’t own a dishwasher or a clothes dryer
    I own a sud-saving washing machine (it is 15 years old and we keep it going because you can no longer get one as reliable).
    Showers are kept to a minimum and have water saving shower heads
    Grey water is used on lawn areas
    We have all trees / shrubs / gardens on drippers and have established them so that they can survive on deep waterings.

The following is done early in the morning or on weekends when electricity is cheaper;
    • All watering of gardens / trees etc
    • Clothes washing when we have full loads
    We also do the following

We no longer have a second beer fridge in the shed (much to DH and his mates disgust).
    We no longer have a chest freezer. I have an upright freezer and the spaces in it are filled with ice cream containers of water to help it retain its temperature without it cutting in and out all the time.
    All electrical appliances not used are turned off at the power point
    We try and use as much natural light during the day so lights don’t need to be on. At night we use lamps for reading or just one light in the lounge room.
    I open windows at night to draw the cool breeze through the house.
    We have block out blinds and curtains to help with insulation.
    The cooling / heating system is zoned so we only use it in the areas that it is needed, when it is needed. Our house is well insulated but I also try and work around the suns orientation during the day to help it remain cool. For example in the morning if I keep the eastern blinds and curtains on the house closed until the sun has moved off that wall the house stays cooler longer. I then use the natural light coming in through the open blinds on the western side of the house and then change when the sun changes. IYKWIM.

That is all I can think of at the moment.