ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default You shouldn't still be breastfeeding your 15 mth old!!

Is what I was told today by an ignorant woman at work!!! I was speaking to someone else about being exhausted and this woman who I hardly know piped up and told me I had no reason to be exhausted because im 'young' . As I don't know her very well I said casually that I have a 15 mth old at home so yes I do have a reason as she wakes at night. Well... The response from her was 'your 15 month old should NOT be waking through the night!! Are you still breastfeeding?" so of course I said I was ... This woman then starts saying " You should NOT be breastfeeding a 15 month old. She is FAR too old and thats the only reason she is waking up at night- its your fault so you can't complain about being exhausted!"
    I was shocked!! First of all I don't know this woman and secondly, what right does she have to tell me I shouldn't be breastfeeding my baby! I was too shocked to get into it with her and I was on my way out to pick up dd. I know it shouldn't surprise me but i really am shocked at the ignorance of some people!! There's my vent over!!! Now im annoyed that I didn't come back at her with the facts!! Grrrrr

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's outrageous!! Was this a work colleague? Coz you would have grounds to make a complaint under the sex discrimination act if she was. I woulda let her have it!! Lol
    Hate narrow minded people!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What a b****. Why is it ANY of her business what you do? If you want to feed your 8 year old, that's your choice, nobody else's. I hope you told her where to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old was she? The older generation of mums who had babies around 30 years ago I have found to be very much that way.. My mil beleives all babies should be weaned onto a cup at 9 months and should be having 3 solid meals a day as their main source of nutrition. You can not convince her that things aren't that "set" now. Don't even try to fly the new WHO guidelines with her either. As rude as she was, I would just shrug her off. Tell her you know what you're doing and find those kind of ideas funny and old fashioned. Should keep her quiet

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    How old was she? The older generation of mums who had babies around 30 years ago I have found to be very much that way.. My mil beleives all babies should be weaned onto a cup at 9 months and should be having 3 solid meals a day as their main source of nutrition. You can not convince her that things aren't that "set" now. Don't even try to fly the new WHO guidelines with her either. As rude as she was, I would just shrug her off. Tell her you know what you're doing and find those kind of ideas funny and old fashioned. Should keep her quiet

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk
    This is great advise. I'd be annoyed too by this woman.

However her attitude seems to be one shared by many older (read finished having children women). I found that once DS turned one I used to get asked all the time by older women when I was weaning him, especially by my grandmother who struggled to understand why we were supported to keep going and not give up. She was told that once they got teeth you had to stop. I used to just smile, advise that things were different now and two was when we were recommended to feed till. She never quite got it. Each generation does it differently and our daughters will probably do it differently again. All part of the journey.

However if this woman ever makes a comment like that again, report her. That behavior towards a work colleague is NOT okay.

Finally, kudos to you for still feeding and I hope you get a good night sleep tonight (I have a non-sleeper so I know how exhausting it can get).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Was it my MIL?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

MyLittleLilacTree  (20-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! I was just so caught off guard I didn't say anything. Probably best I didn't! She is in an older generation (she's 50 ish I'm guessing) so she probably has come from a different school of thought! I totally respect other people's views on all different manner of topics but I didn't expect someone to be so aggressive about my choice to feed my baby! I feel sorry for her grandchildren! Now that I think about it, my FIL said something the other week when they were visiting from the uk. Just as if it was the normal thing to do - wean at 1 year old. The lady at work is from the uk aswell so perhaps it's not as widely accepted over there???
    I will definitely be giving her the cold shoulder from now on!! As I type dd has worked her way into my top and is gugging away! I love it! How can anyone be so against this!!???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    Was it my MIL?
    Hahaha I hope not!!! For your sake!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol my MIL asked me to stop because it made her uncomfortable so i made it my mission to keep going! All I can say is you should be proud to breast feed for so long and I think your doing an amazing job

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IVFmumof2 For This Useful Post:

meljemillie  (18-01-2012)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Tell the mentally deficient cow to mind her own g d business. Who the HELL is she to tell you what you should and shouldn't do??!!

Grrr, gosh that's ticked me off!

You'll have to excuse the iPhone auto correct. It sax!