+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Question for all u home owners out there.

So I'f you rented out your property to
    A family who stressed I'n there application they wanted a long term rental and they signed all contracts including a special one to mantain all weeding the garden beds, would you allow them I'n return to fix a few things( and by few I mean alot) around the place, let them get a small dog for their child??
    A dog that I's almost one so not really a puppy and one that doesn't dig and has had some puppy preschool training already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think if they have been living there for a while and have shown that they are already looking after the place, I wouldn't have an issue with the dog - provided that if the dog caused any damage to the property that they would be responsible for fixing it.

In terms of them fixing things...Could that get a bit messy if they are paying to fix things on a house that isn't theirs? Just thinking out loud on that one.
    I guess if both parties are happy then it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would want to know what they intend to fix before they do it and then decide if it is something that I should contribute to paying for but otherwise yes I rent to them if their application and references were good.Our current have a dog,maybe even two I cannot remember.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd approve a dog - maybe get then to specify the breed or something so you don't approve a puppy that ends up being a great Dane! As for repairs - that can be tricky. What if they do a crap job? What of the break it even worse and it costs more to repair afterwards? Again, maybe they could specify what repairs they want to carry out and you can approve them individually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gas it sh1ts me how landlords get so narky over pets. To me its normal to have at least one dog, and i would never live without one. If tenants are going to be irresponsible and messy/destructive, a pet wont make a big difference, imo. Conversely, if a tenant is responsible then a pet shouldnt make a big difference there either. My tenant has a dog, cat, goat, and god knows what else lol, and has always kept the yard well maintained.

As for fixing things, it would depend what it is they want to do.. In general i would say repair costs lie with the landlord, unless the tenant caused the original damage... But if bith parties are happy with the arrangement then thats all that really matters

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

littlerayofsunshine  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The things that need fixing aren't extreme just necessary things like putting a screen door on the back( just a basic one, we could take it off when we leave) just little bits and pieces. The dog has lived with a friend of ours and it has never dug or damaged anything it really I's the perfect dog. It would also be an outside dog so wouldn't have to worry about anything happening to the inside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It would depend how responsible you think they are. Personally I wouldn't allow a dog (and I'm a dog owner myself). From my observations people renting (big generalization) don't worry too much about their dog doing damage. Also I think the doggie smell tends to get into carpets and curtains no matter how tidy you are.
    Also I got a dog that was about 2 so not a puppy but still did damage like few accidents in our carpet and destroyed a screen door while we were trying to train her. I guess it would depend too on whether it's an inside or outside dog. Personal choice.
    Also agree with PP on fixing stuff. If they spend their own money that could get tricky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they are separate issues, one shouldnt be a trade off against the other....

agreeing to allow tennants to fix things is risky when the landlord would have no control over quality of materials used or the standard of workmanship? It would depend on what needed fixing...

As for the dog, again, it would depend - did the landlord when they first advertised the house for rent, state that "pets negotiable" or "pets not allowed" ? I think that needs to be considered.

I am a dog owner, but would never have my dogs inside my own house. So I wouldn't blame a landlord for not wanting dogs in a house they are renting out....!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie79 View Post
    I think they are separate issues, one shouldnt be a trade off against the other....

agreeing to allow tennants to fix things is risky when the landlord would have no control over quality of materials used or the standard of workmanship? It would depend on what needed fixing...

As for the dog, again, it would depend - did the landlord when they first advertised the house for rent, state that "pets negotiable" or "pets not allowed" ? I think that needs to be considered.

I am a dog owner, but would never have my dogs inside my own house. So I wouldn't blame a landlord for not wanting dogs in a house they are renting out....!
    I completely agree with the above .

When a tenant agrees and signs to a long term lease, it's not only good for the land lord, but also the tenant, as *usually* the rent stays put with a long term lease as opposed to those who choose to extend their leases as they go along, so I don't think any sort of 'bargaining' apart from rent should be considered.

I would feel very uneasy about my tenants 'fixing' things of their own accord, as what one person deems high quality workmanship, another may not. I also had a problem once when a tenant decided (of his own accord) to get up in the ceiling and 'fix' an electrical problem. When our agent did an inspection we found out because he had left a cable hanging out of a hole in the ceiling! What a safety hazard and also, our landlord insurance would have been null and devoid without us having known.
    Even if 'professionals' are called in, you wouldn't have any say or idea as to their workmanship quality. Too much of a gamble.

As for pets, we have a clause to say we don't allow any pets, we don't see it's worth it, the yard isn't big enough for a dog and we would never allow pets inside.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 15-01-2012 at 12:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank u everyone for your response. 
    No where I'n the contract or on the advertisement when we first looked at the property did it say about having or not having pets.
    I don't see what the issue would b as it I's our responsibility and I'f any damage would occur then it would just get taken out of our bond. Just like it would I'f we personally damaged the property.
    I agree with everyone's thoughts on the fixing of things, this was dh idea.
    Now I just need to figure out how to ask the owner.