+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default At a loss :(

DS is 9 months old. Usually when he wakes at night I can figure out why. He still feeds once or twice a night and gets up pretty early but appart from that he has been a good sleeper for the past 3 months and I've been pretty darn happy. Sometime nights I'm up a fair number of times during the night but he just needs a stoke on the cheek or a repositioning and then he's happy as larry again.

The last few nights though have been out of the ordinary. He usually goes to bed between 6 and 7 but the last few nights it's taken me until nearly 9pm to get him sleeping. After that he might go for a few hours and then wake up for a feed. THEN every hour or more after that he's either hardly sleeping (tossing and turning) or SCREAMING for a suckle - I'm talking choking on his own tears! Then up again for the day around 4.30am and is a cranky pants the whole day. He's catnapping more than usual again too during the day.

I've never seen him this upset for no apparent reason. I thought it might be too hot/too cold but last night I'm sure he was just right. I also don't think it's teething because he's already cut 2 teeth in the past month and it didn't disturb his sleep at all.

I'm finding myself getting so frustrated a night that I get really angry/resentful at him. I just want to know what's wrong
    Last edited by captainscaptain; 14-01-2012 at 07:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm...I was going to say maybe teething or getting sick.

I had a stage like this with my DD and I finally figured out that I was feeding her a new bean/mince recipe from my baby book that had some new spices in it. As soon as I stopped she went back to normal. No changes in diet?

I am sure if he has been a good sleeper, you will be able to get him back to his normal routine soon, I found my DD would go through stages of waking up lots particularly after being sick. It is a bit mysterious though....Sleep depravation is awful though, hang on in there

PS - Just thought of something else, you didn't change bedding/pyjamas or anything? Your DS could have been using something as a comforter and it's now gone? Or he can't touch his bellybutton or something because of new pyjamas?
    Last edited by Kitty10; 14-01-2012 at 07:57. Reason: another thought!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I hope it goes back to normal. I'll might have to have a good think about what he's been eating lately. He doesn't eat a lot you see - mainly a boobie boy.

As for PJ's etc, sometimes he sleeps naked, sometimes he's in a onesie and sometimes he's in a summery sleeping bag, none of which make a difference to his sleep unless it effects his temperature. He has the same bedding though as he does like to snuggle into his blankets which are all still there.

He got his first cold/flue about a month ago and he slept poorly during that week or 2. It was different though, he would wake a lot but not get SO awake and SO upset IYKWIM? I didn't feel angry/resentful at all during that time though as I knew he was sick and I felt so bad for the poor little mite.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Google wonder weeks, all babies go through it, I know mine all have, just all of a sudden stop being good sleepers for no reason

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes I have searched these but it doesn't seem to fit his age, plus he's never acted like this and I'm sure he's had many wonder weeks already.

This morning he went down for a 2 hour nap which was great and much needed. The only thing different in the room was the cieling fan was off because the night air had cooled my room down to 23 degrees last night. The last few nights I had it on a higher than usual setting (due to the heat) which creates a high pitched sound. Maybe he finds that sound annoying??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

Bluest Blue Box  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is a big sleep regression at nine months

*** end of transmission ***

Silver_Lining is offline Our miracle Princess due in March <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I unfortunately have no advice but my just 10 month old is going through EXACTLY the same thing =(

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going through the same thing here. Apparently there's a big sleep regression that happens around 8-10 months.
    DS is cruising around a lot and trying to stand by himself too so I guess his little brain is busy all the time. I can see so much going on in terms of his development.

We've been bed sharing after around midnight or so. He still wakes up heaps overnight but its slightly more bearable when I don't have to walk to the other ends if the house every 2 hours at night.

Hope it settles down soon. I don't know how much more I can take.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My suggestion is just ride it out. DS has these regressions all the time - whether it's teeth, temperature, wonder week or just a general sleep regression, they usually pass in a week or so.

Hang in there, sounds like you're doing a great job

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all, riding it out is all I can do I guess. He's in my room so it's a bit easier than going to another room a million times. He does come into my bed usually for the last hour of sleep but I might bring him in earlier whilst this stage is taking place! I'll see how tonight goes if I leave the cieling fan on a low setting...