+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No guns here, not for my 2 yo or my 3 yo. They don't even know what guns are and I'm happy not to enlighten them

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (12-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried to protect my 4 year old for as long as I could, but as others have said, it's a boy thing. I'm just careful on educating him about how to play with one. He only has a nerf gun and our rules are that you 'don't point or shoot guns at people or animals'. He is very familiar with this concept and is happy to try to shoot his foam bullets at a can on a table etc. I think when I banned guns completely when he was younger, it made him want to play with them more and heightened his curiosity in them. So, as long as he plays with them appropriately I'm ok with it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to squirrelex For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (12-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Waitingfornumber2 View Post
    I tried to protect my 4 year old for as long as I could, but as others have said, it's a boy thing. I'm just careful on educating him about how to play with one. He only has a nerf gun and our rules are that you 'don't point or shoot guns at people or animals'. He is very familiar with this concept and is happy to try to shoot his foam bullets at a can on a table etc. I think when I banned guns completely when he was younger, it made him want to play with them more and heightened his curiosity in them. So, as long as he plays with them appropriately I'm ok with it
    I think this is a good plan! Thanks for the replies, I've heard that little boys will just make guns out of anything! I think I'll loosen up a bit , but not buy or encourage the use of guns, but if he makes one or plays with one at someone's house I'll make sure like waitingfornumber2 said I'll teach him how to play with one properly, I didn't even think about video games yet , I'll worry about that one later!

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    my boys dont own any guns .. but gosh they get excited when they find guns at other kids homes .. they LOVE chasing each other and getting the badies ..

I find with kids .. if you dont buy them guns, they make them - either from sticks... or with their fingers .. or even with lego ..

My boys have never watched anything other than G or PG programs, and they STILL love battles, teaming up to fight the bad guys etc ..

I think its more important to educate the difference between real and play (fiction) than ban .. jmo though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My son is four in February, we live on a farm and he has no toy guns. Living where we do, he has been exposed to them at friends houses but I won't buy them for him. We do own a gun, well two actually, but one belongs to a friend of the family and the kids have never seen DH or I use them. There has been pretty much no curiosity on Ds or DDs part.
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 12-01-2012 at 23:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS 3 and a half has about 6 toy guns. He sees real ones at least once a week. He loves playing with guns like daddy. So I'm not going to stop him having toy ones.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I suppose it's a very personal decision OP I personally don't care what type of gun it is, what it's made out of or who/what it's pointed at - I won't allow my kids to play guns. I think it's an important step in educating children about violence.

Each to their own though. As you can tell I'm very anti-guns

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (13-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (13-01-2012),ShanandBoc  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    No guns here, not for my 2 yo or my 3 yo. They don't even know what guns are and I'm happy not to enlighten them
    My boys are the same age and we also don't have any in the house and will not buy them... They have however picked up the action and saying 'kill' from a lovely little boy at playground... He was a bit older. And they do it all the time.. At first we ignored it thinking they would forget, but they haven't and have great pleasure in pointing out guns at shops etc followed by "their not allowed in our house are they mummy", then a few hand actions just to get o mummy.

But in answer to your question, I think to a degree boys will be boys and eventually pick it up from school etc if they are interested, but that doesn't mean we need to encourage it in our homes if it doesn't sit right with us. And we encourage make believe of other types, they don't need an actual gun to play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds is 5 in a few days and doesn't have any toy guns, not even water pistols. We haven't had to voice our concerns about guns, he just hasn't got any from us or from friends/family as gifts. Honestly he probably doesn't really know much about guns ... except he did watch a Mythbusters episode about them . He doesn't really play war games, but I expect it will come and yes, he'll make guns out of sticks/etc. But for now, I'm happy to leave him gun free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son is 3, and no guns here. Can't stand them.

Thankfully he doesn't know about them though as he only watches kids' tv.