+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default A grocery price thread with a twist

I was in a car accident last week that resulted in me not being with dd. Of course before I left I did a full grocery shop for her and gave her money for snacks, but then came home to an empty fridge. This is what I bought.

A loaf of bread: 99c
    A pack of salad: 50c on clearance
    A pack of pasta spirals: 59c
    A tin of vege mince: $3.59.
    A 2 pack of garlic bread: 50c on clearance
    A 5 pack of 2 minute noodles: $2.75
    1l of milk for $1.50

I also brought home 5 of the mangoes we bought from a friend off her tree, box of 20 for $5.

I had the salad on sandwiches 2 days in a row. Made enough pasta for 4 meals, with enough left to feed the dog, too. Had garlic bread with the pasta.

Big difference between only providing for me and having a child to provide for. That got me through from last tuesday until monday of this week, but I still have noodles, just had to buy more pasta, bread, milk and a very small amount of fruit and veg which came to under $10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just as an aside, if I were your friend, I could never charge you for Mangoes. I know you got 20 of them, but when I had mango trees they were always laden with Mangoes, so 20 isn't that big a deal off a whole tree. Of course, I don't know your friend and her situation, she well may need the money too, but I would gift them to a single mother friend especially.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

CakeyLoaf  (13-01-2012),elleandsam  (13-01-2012),Witwicky  (12-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I spend $10 plus a day alone on my fruit/veg so Id be stuffed, before adding milk/yoghurt/wraps/cheese/meats/seafood

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    Just as an aside, if I were your friend, I could never charge you for Mangoes. I know you got 20 of them, but when I had mango trees they were always laden with Mangoes, so 20 isn't that big a deal off a whole tree. Of course, I don't know your friend and her situation, she well may need the money too, but I would gift them to a single mother friend especially.
    Her kids picked them for pocket money, but thank you, that was a really nice post

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (12-01-2012),Witwicky  (12-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by fairyflossfairy View Post
    I spend $10 plus a day alone on my fruit/veg so Id be stuffed, before adding milk/yoghurt/wraps/cheese/meats/seafood
    I do too when my daughter is here, but it really shows how much that kid costs just in food alone.

bunkx is online now Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    kids cost so much, if it was jsut me i would be happy living off vegemite and cheese toasties

my kids have been eating so much fruit and veggies lately i have notice a big jump in food bill, but i shouldnt complain they are eating healthy and liking it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    When I buy DS' snacks (crackers, cheese, nuts, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, yoghurts and LOTS of fruit) I actually spend more than my entire week's food shop used to cost including lunches and dinners for myself. My boy CAN EAT. He's always so energetic and when we visit my parents I am under strict instructions to call first so mum can 'stock up' as she calls it.

When prople say their kids "don't cost them much" I honestly wonder about their kids' nutrition lol, mine just never stops eating!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I do too when my daughter is here, but it really shows how much that kid costs just in food alone.
    That is just for me, my kids are about $15 between them, then add hubby. Our food bill is really expensive but so are the prices! You need it though so have to pay it

ETA...that is JUST fruit and veg nothing else that is extra
    Last edited by fairyflossfairy; 13-01-2012 at 00:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I guess it is less because we don't eat meat, but also I eat small portions, unlike my child. She ate an adult size plate of lasagne, like the size you would feed a grown man, followed by a whole mango and a bowl of so good ice cream. That same night I had one serve of the cheap pasta lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Well... DD naturally eats more than I do now since my op... so I have no idea how much it'd cost to just feed me. More than it costs you cos I have to do protein rather than carbs, unless all I ate was baked beans I suppose... lol.

We used to have a lot of mashed potato and pasta dishes when I was her father though... food was way cheaper for us then.