When I fell pregnant back in May, I was determined to fight for a VBA2C.
After losing that baby and falling pregnant this time, I had lost the will to fight ... until I started discussing it with some people and researching, then I decided I would at least see what my chances were.
As expected, my local hospital will allow VBAC but not after 2 ceasars. They would not give me a choice. This made me decide to fight some more. I contacted a couple of doula's who said to transfer to the Mater Mother's at South Brisbane who will do it (and where they would do it if I could end up affording a doula - which I can't).
I was then rejected by the Mater Mother's as out of the catchment area. It felt I was getting turned down at every point. I didn't even realise they had a catchment area, I assumed RBWH was for North Side and Mater for South Side.
They then said to get the hospital to write a letter, not the GP. I told the Ob this at my hospital appointment but it seemed like she wouldn't write it. I think I just resigned myself to the fact I have no choices and I will be having a c/s.
If it weren't for the impractibility then I wouldn't mind so much (ie DH is casual so doesn't get paid for time off, not supposed to drive for 6 weeks, need to get DS to kindy and walk DD to & from school etc) and I can organise things. I was mentally preparing myself I guess. I decided it wouldn't be so bad as to not have to labour for 30 hours only to fail like last time, I think it would be a faster recovery going elective than a failed vbac. Not to mention it's close to home (but a looong way from my parent's where kids will be and a long way for them to visit every day) and free parking.
Then on Monday I received a text message (yes, a text, not a phone call, a text message!) saying I have a doctor's appointment at the Mater Mother's on Friday the 20th! I was in shock I think! I assume it will sort of be like an interview to see if I am a good candidate and whether they will accept me given I am out of the zone.
I will obviously go to the appointment and guess see what they say.
If I have the option in the end, I am just not sure what I should choose.
I wouldn't mind hearing some of your stories from both sides & experiences etc.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
11-01-2012 11:47 #1
Elective C-Section vs VBA2C
11-01-2012 12:32 #2
Fingers crossed for you.
I get text messages re appointments all the time, saves on staff wok loads & costs plus you don't have to remember were you've written things down.
11-01-2012 19:58 #3Two kiddos keeping me on my toes :-)
- Join Date
- Jun 2007
So sorry about the loss of your baby
I also had a long labour with DS which ended in a CS, and really want to avoid that. We have no family here, DP will have to fly out 3 weeks after the birth the latest. So I am trying for a vbac, hoping the recovery will be better (well it cant really be any worse...)
If however this bub presents posterior and has not engaged (like DS was) I will have a CS. The girls that had their second CS all said recovery was better than the first time, one even had a failed vbac attempt and still got on her feet earlier. Just like you I dont want to go through hours of pain, be tired and worn out and then be cut open in the end as well. I'd rather make the descision myself, have a 'relaxed' cesarean and be up and running much quicker.
At the moment (I'm 32 weeks) its looking good for a vbac for me though. DS nevver turned anterior, was always in an funny position, but this bub seems to be anterior already
So there, thats what I'm doing: if it looks better for a vaginal birth than last time go for it, then on the day you can still opt for the cesar. At least that way you have the option. Good luck with your appointment!
11-01-2012 21:50 #4
Loop - that is what I am thinking too, thank you so much xoxoxo
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
20-01-2012 13:25 #5Junior Member
- Join Date
- Feb 2011
I don't know what an elective c-section is like because I only had emergency c-sections for my first 2 babies after over 20 hours of labour then "failure to progress"
I had a vba2c for my 3rd bub at Nambour General, which almost ended in another c-section for "failure to progress" again, but I stuck it out & was so glad I did. Having long labours for vbacs is hard because the obs do put you on the clock, but in my experience I just made it clear that unless the monitors showed genuine signs of distress for either baby or me then I wouldn't give up. It was definitely worth it recovery wise! Then for my 4th pregnancy (my twins) I had a shorter labour because I'd already had that vba2c. A midwife once told me that after having a vaginal birth, your body has then gone through the "latent phase" (all that 10 or 20 hours of painful pre-labour contractions that seem to get you nowhere) then your body won't go through that again & generally speaking you will have shorter labours in future.
So basically in my personal opinion, having a c-section for "failure to progress" isn't always the only option. If you can stick it out with a long labour, provided that there are no signs of distress, then it is worth it.
It's a personal choice though. Whatever you decide I'm sure will be the right decision. Personally I'd rather attempt a vbac and have it end in another c-section than to not attempt and always wonder "what if?"
But as I said, it's a personal choice and you will make the right decision for you! An elective c-section can be a wonderful experience for many mums so no matter which way you decide, I'm sure it will be wonderful for you
All the best!
20-01-2012 13:27 #6Junior Member
- Join Date
- Feb 2011
Ps- I am so sorry for your loss. Wish you all the best for this pregnancy!
20-01-2012 17:04 #7
Thanks ROSE ...
Well I had an appointment with the best ob at the Mater today & I have been accepted!!! This is the first time all pregnancy I have been excited! Even just the feel when I walked in felt so much better.
She explained obviously about the risks etc but is giving me the best chance possible including leaving me til 41 weeks, giving me internals from 39-40 weeks to check cervix is ripening (if it is still hard etc at 41 weeks it'll be c/s which I am fine with), scans to keep an eye on her size at the end but said size doesn't affect the birth or whether I can, just affects other things and what they monitor I think, but basically it is what I wanted!! A chance!!
By GothChick in forum general c-section discussion and debateReplies: 20Last Post: 30-04-2012, 22:05
By Rocky27 in forum elective c-section and positive c-section experiencesReplies: 19Last Post: 07-04-2012, 05:30
By Jemma87 in forum elective c-section and positive c-section experiencesReplies: 1Last Post: 11-02-2012, 20:01
Baby MonitorsLooking to buy a baby monitor? :: Read viewer reviews of baby monitors BEFORE you buy :: Buy at a local or online Baby ...
LATESTWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at homeGuide to government family benefit payments
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Would you breastfeed in public?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
How long would you leave your 8 (almost 9) year old at home alone?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
2.5yo hitting/pushing (possible ASD)Discipline & behaviour
Show me your lunchbox 2017!!Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
Adelaide Hubbers #2Adelaide
The Not So Serious Vent Thread #7General Chat