+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Had one last week. I have them every 2 years.
    However, I'm not sure that I'll start having mammograms regularly at the designated age (is it 40 or 50?). I can't imagine that all that radiation is good for your boobies and besides there is absolutely no family history of breast cancer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive been getting them regularly since having abnormal cells removed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't have any history of breast cancer when my mother was diagnosed in 2005. 3 years later she was dead at 56.
    If she had had a mammogram it might have saved her life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have only had 1.

Laziness is all that's stopping me from getting another. I don't like my GP enough to have them do it... but I am too lazy to look for somewhere else.

Hopefully when I get my car, I'll drive to a health clinic and get someone to do it (I got my first one done by a midwife... I think? I wasn't pregnant, but I'm sure that's what she was... ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeamummy View Post
    We didn't have any history of breast cancer when my mother was diagnosed in 2005. 3 years later she was dead at 56.
    If she had had a mammogram it might have saved her life.
    Mammogram saved my MIL thankfully. A quick mammogram picked up a very tiny cancer in her breast that would have grown and spread very quickly. A small part of her breast was removed, a few weeks of radiotherapy and she was free of cancer. I don't even like to think what would have happened to her had she not had that appointment that very day!

I have regular pap smears, they are very minimal to me. I don't love them but it's 5 minutes out of my day every 2 years. No biggie really but I can empathise that it would be emotionally difficult for some and physically difficult for some, too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm due one, well overdue actually. We're pretty limited here with people that can do them. I worked with the GP in my nearest town, the GP in one neighboring town is revolting - he was doing a pap smear on a friend of mine and once she was in the position said "Here kitty kitty"....with all the other appointments and stuff that we have to coordinate in the city, a pap smear just doesn't cut the mustard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    There has actually been some very interesting research in recent times about the need for pap smears, how often they should occur and at what should they start happening. Here is a great read from the Australian Medical Journal
    There was also another article quite a few years ago that showed that 1000 women needed to be routinely screened for 35 years to save one woman from cervical cancer. And of those 1000 women 135 would receive abnormal results that would not be cancer.
    Yep. I had CIN II cells come up on a papsmear after I miscarried in 2010. I had a colposcopy and biopsy and another a few months later.

I was advised to go in and have the area removed, there was a phenomenal amount of talk of cancer and death, hysterectomy, infertility etc. The fact that I refused to have the area removed immediately lead to multiple calls from my Dr, my gyno and letters from the Australian cancer council.

I had done some reading though and only 5% of CIN II cells ever (as in even 20 years later) progress to cancer, the majority clear up by themselves or never progress further.
    I was being strongly pushed to have part of my cervix removed when there was a 95% chance all would be well.
    When pregnant with DS2 soon after my Ob advised me to have another colposcopy, smear and biopsy... Even though 70% of abnormal cells clear up or improve after pregnancy, results are often inaccurate at that time and the odds of it having progressed in that time were a great deal below 1%. oh, and it wouldn't have been treated when I was pregnant anyway.
    So I said no, I'd wait until after I had the baby. Cue more talk of doom and death and another couple of letters.

The area of cells was under 1cm by the way.

I did have a smear and another colposcopy after I had DS2, but not before the receptionist abused me for being "stupid" for having waited when I called to book in for it.

The results came up 100% clear.

Will I have another smear in 12 months? Maybe. But that whole exercise caused me massive amounts of stress due to the hounding and scare providing, cost a fortune in tests and in the end confirmed what I felt - that my body got out of balance due to a difficult time in my life and it has the ability to heal itself.

I'm not against papsmears and they do help many women. But I'm so glad I read up the facts rather than let myself be pressured into unnecessarily having bits of me chopped off.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I go yearly because I once had changes.

FYI if you are ever unsure when your last one was, you can log into Medicare and review all the claims you have made. Pap smears have their own item number and are listed as a pap smear, so you can find out the exact date of your last one.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Benji  (09-01-2012),jessesgirl  (10-01-2012),Witwicky  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 6-12 monthly pap smears and colposcopys depending on the degree of abnormality at the previous one. I'm happy to get them done, a pap smear I find nothing really, colposcopy a bit more annoying but I'd happily have it all and keep an eye on my abnormal cells and hopefully avoid having a laser procedure as I would rather not prior to having my children. Biopsys aren't much fun but I think the stress of waiting 6 weeks for the results is basically as bad as it gets.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    same as shani, i have regular paps/etc, having had cervical cancer before i was sexually active.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast