Hi Will try and make this as short as possible, I need advice.
As some of you know, I've been concerned with my almost 2 year old's sons development since he was 10-11 months old. I decided to take action when he was 18 months old by getting him assessed at the child health clinic. The recommendation was to put him into daycare, which I did. 2 days per week.
A few weeks ago, the centre director had a meeting with myself and DH and told us she agrees he is delayed. She told us an inclusion officer would come to assess him (which happened on Wednesday last week) and they wanted to offer us 2 days extra (no charge) so he could have more one on one time with his favourite staff member. They're amazingly wonderful, supportive people
Anyway, the inclusion officer said she does not want to make any judgement calls at the moment and that we need to take him to a paediatrician, then give the centre the report from paediatrician and then the inclusion officer will set up whatever help is needed. Most likely government funded help (including a special needs aide) to help him whilst at daycare.
We took DS to the GP yesterday and told him we need a referral to the paediatrician and what the inclusion officer said. The GP said before he refers us to a paediatrician, he wants to refer him to have his hearing tested. He's sent a letter to the local hospital and will inform us of when an appointment becomes available.
He took DS's weight and height - both normal. However DS's head circumference is above the norm...not massively, but it's above the normal range. I have read a lot of information indicating there's a significant link between large head size in infants/toddlers and Autism.
I am unsure of whether to wait to have his hearing tested and then go and see a paediatrician (who knows how long the waiting lists are)...OR, wait for the hearing test appointment to come through (and go to that when it happens) and in the meantime see a different GP *demanding* an open referral to a paediatrician. I realise this will cost us money for every appointment (no private health insurance any more) - but can I do that? like is that an option or do I HAVE to have private health insurance?
I've heard that some of these waiting lists can be up to 2 years and there's no way I'm willing to wait 2 months let alone 2 years. I realise it will be expensive but at the moment I don't care. What do I do?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
08-01-2012 14:47 #1
Head Size/Circumference (toddlers) & Developmental Delay.
08-01-2012 16:26 #2
You can go private, but yes... Every app costs, Medicare will rebate a portion of it. We were lucky and bypassed the paed, he referred us directly to the early intervention centre in Bundall, but you do need a paeds referral to get in I think. The centre had a one month wait for us.
DS has a huge pumpkin head and it is a common association. I read something the other week about Autism having visual indicators like Downs Syndrome, just much more subtle and head circumference was one of them. Google it. I'm on my phone.
08-01-2012 16:45 #3Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jan 2009
Do you have to see a developmental paed (in bris)?
I was thinking of taking my son to one and phoned around in nov. They were all booked up until march. That was private. I think an assessment cost about 400, and you get something back frm medicare.
Child health has a list of Private dev paeds.
The child health nurse said the public wait may be about 10 months.
That is for devt paed though. But I assume that's what you would need.
Re hearing, I got my son's hearing tested privately. It was 90, so I didn't bother looking into public. The audiologist was lovely. Only some places do kids testing. I got her name from child health. She's in indro, but they can probably recommend somebody closer.
Last edited by MsMummy; 08-01-2012 at 16:49.
08-01-2012 16:48 #4Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jan 2009
Ps. I don't think phi makes any difference. I have decent phi, and I don't think paeds are covered.
The speech therapy was, but we only got back 25 out of 65.
08-01-2012 18:11 #5
Not sure which paediatrician we're seeing yet as the GP isn't giving us the referral for a paed until we've had his hearing tested, which hopefully isn't too far away. After having thought about this (this afternoon), I think having his hearing tested first is the right thing to do and my guess is it would be the first thing a paediatrician would think of to do first as well. So we'll do this, then we'll see a paediatrician.
However, if the wait for the hearing test is long, I will be getting an open referral to see a paed (with no/or the shortest waiting list) in the meantime. $400 for the initial consult is what I expected. DH is not happy about this AT ALL but too bad.
I tried to do some finger painting with him (again) today, he did the best he's done so far. He still isn't comfortable pushing the paint around, but he realised that paint on his face won't hurt him (I covered my face in paint which eased him). He also *happily* watched me do some finger painting. So, we're getting somewhere slowly. Tried to put his shoes on and go outside but no luck as usual, he's terrified of anything going near his feet.
- Just saw what you said about hearing MsMummy. If the wait is long publicly I will go privately if it's only $90.
09-01-2012 12:36 #6
Just wondering if anyone else with an Autistic/Aspergers child with a larger than normal head circumference can shed any light.
09-01-2012 12:43 #7Senior Member
- Join Date
- Oct 2008
Hi Pinkzy, sorry your going through such a hard time having gone through a similar type scenario we also started with a hearing screen, we are in Victoria and I simply rang our local ENT (ear, nose, throat specialist) and booked in for a hearing screen we got an appointment the next day the medicare scheduled fee is $20 and no referral is necessary (I am not sure about QLD but thought it may be something to explore). Our local hospital also have a childrens services department and we had further screeing done by an OT, psychologist etc all free of charge and because he was coming up to school age he was classed as priority so we did not have to wait a long time, so it may be useful to jump onto your local/surrounding hospital website and see what services they offer. We also did a behavioural eye test which even if your little guy cannot yet read or recognise letters can still be done this was without a doubt a key element as its formed his diagnosis of Sensory Processing Disorder. I would look into your local resources as often you get referred to the pead who charges the earth only to refer you onto these type of services. I am not sure whats its like in Queensland but I can honestly say that I have been pretty happy with the public resources available here in Victoria you just need to kickstart it with the hearing screen but if you google hearing screen and your area it should bring up private clinics that offer hearing screens (which by the way are pretty cool and really engaging for the kids!!) Wishing you all the best and I hope you get the answers you are looking for
The Following User Says Thank You to lovelymum For This Useful Post:
17-01-2012 13:24 #8Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
- Join Date
- Jul 2010
Aww Pinkzy now im freaking out
Hope your bub is okay and i will also be getting DD assessed now (based on your post and google research after your post)
DD has a big boof head. Way above average. She's excelled in her short life (19 months) in all phyisical aspects and language but is seriously lagging in her emotional and social skills
17-01-2012 15:06 #9
to you at this tough and no doubt confusing time.
My BFF has a DS (my godson) with Aspergers and yes he has a larger than average head circumference. I see him nearly every day, we're very close.
I would recommend having the hearing test first, as difficult as it may be to wait. It's probably going to be one of the first things a Paed suggests anyway, so may as well save time?
I've just been referred to a Paed for my DS (ftt issues) and was originally told up to 2mth wait. I begged with the receptionist and gave her a sob story to be put at the top of the cancellations waiting list....ha ha it worked as we got in that same week.....just saying...give it a go
I have top PHI but it means nothing for an appt with a Paed either unfortunately, as Medicare already pays a rebate. Mine cost $210 with an out of pocket cost of about $90.
Good luck with it all.
By CuddlesAwait in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & ChatReplies: 17Last Post: 05-06-2013, 10:58
By Witchypoo in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & ChatReplies: 3Last Post: 28-10-2012, 12:10
By alpacamum in forum Parents of Children with Special NeedsReplies: 36Last Post: 21-08-2012, 18:15
Pea Pods Reusable NappiesPea Pods are the smart choice when it comes to choosing what's best for you, your baby and the environment. Affordable ...
LATESTWhy it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at home
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
The Vampire Diaries LAST EPISODEMovies / Music / Books / TV Chat
Egg Donation in Greece #5Egg Donation
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
Placenta distance for natural birthThird Trimester Chat
Come chat, Ladies who are 40+ TTC or ExpectingConception & Fertility General Chat
Husband VentFamily & Friends
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF