ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tips for transferring from cot to bed?!

Can anyone give me some advice, experiences or tips on a smooth transfer for my 2.5 year old DS from a cot to single bed? Is it meant to be a process where we involve him in shopping for beds (trying them out etc) or should a bed just "appear" in place of his cot one day? We've only just got him out of Grobag sleeping bags so I'm worried we've left it a little late & he'll kick up a fuss....Can you tell DH & I have no idea what we're doing?!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told putting a big bed alongside the cot will help get them comfortable with it. Let them lie on it etc & get used to it. Try them in it one day nap or night sleep, with the cot up beside it. Then it won't seem so foreign.

We did this with my 1st born & it worked really well when he was 18 months old. With my 2nd though, we just popped him in a completely different room with a big bed & he was fine! So depends on the personality of your child.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We started with taking a side off the cots, now the kids are 4 months older they understand they're getting new beds. We asked what they wanted & are hunting high & low for the requested beds. A asked for a white one with sparkles so im getting her a white timber bed & going to put glitter on it for her. T & J are still deciding what they'd like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    a friend just transferred her 14 mth old as she needs cot for new baby and would not purchase a new one

I would get rid of the cot and go with the whole big boy routine from day one

I have learnt myself this week that most so called issues are our issues not our childs,

DD has gone to a new crèche gone into big kids room (next age group) gone from cot to floor bed, eats lunch at a table rather than high chair and is changing from 2 sleeps into 1 amazing all in one day she was so happy and proud of herself no problems I just had to get over the fact that she is not a baby any more and move onto the next exciting phase

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was two and came bed shopping with us but didn't "pick" as such. When it was delivered, we got her involved in unpacking and setting up. She went straight from cot with sides to bed. We didn't use a bed rail either, just a rolled up towel under the fitted sheet on the non-wall side for a couple of weeks and the cot mattress on the floor for a soft landing. She only ever fell out once.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't need to buy new beds but each time we made a big deal about Dad setting up their new big girls bed in their bedroom and let them help dismantle the cot. I would take them shopping and let them choose a new doona cover, a big fuss was made about this being for their big girl bed etc.

Then we would set it all up during the day and let them climb up and have a play in their new big girl bed - lots of fuss about how lucky they are to have a big bed now.

With DD2 we made the mistake of leaving the cot set up in the bedroom and after 1/2 hour in her new bed she'd had enough an insisted she sleep in the cot so we left it for a week and tired again, this time without the cot in the room.

DD1 was 2 years old when she moved beds - because we needed the cot for DD2. DD2 & 3 were both around 2 yrs 7 months when I moved them out of the cot.

Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynken View Post
    DD was two and came bed shopping with us but didn't "pick" as such. When it was delivered, we got her involved in unpacking and setting up. She went straight from cot with sides to bed. We didn't use a bed rail either, just a rolled up towel under the fitted sheet on the non-wall side for a couple of weeks and the cot mattress on the floor for a soft landing. She only ever fell out once.
    This is almost exactly what we did with DD at 18 months. Never fallen out of bed and sleeps so much better now than she ever did. Good luck.