+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 yr old boy recurring ankle swelling & pain

Hi there,

My 3 1/2 year old son is having problems with limping. It has happened several times since he was 2, he just wakes up one morning with a limp and swelling and pain over the top of the foot near the ankle (happens in both feet but not both at the same time), it is quite painful for him and often he refuses to walk or just limps around for a few weeks over which time it gradually goes away and he walks normally again. Then suddenly it happens again, either on the same, or the other foot. Each time it happens there has been no obvious injury or fall that I can point to that may be the cause, he just wakes up with a limp.

I keep being told by the medical professionals that he is just an active little boy and it is normal for them to get soft tissue damage but it seems to be a recurring thing and my instincts tell me that there is more to it. We have had xrays and u/sounds done more than once but nothing has shown up there.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be asking for blood tests to be done. ESR and CRP and maybe also a rheumatoid studies just to rule out things like juvenile arthritis. Swelling and pain for no apparent reason is not normal. Does he get in any other joints.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Rhoda, I haven't noticed problems with other joints.

We gave blood and urine samples yesterday, which will take a week for the results, however my doc says rheumatoid arthritis is unlikely, as normally if it were this then the foot wouldn't get better by itself after a few weeks...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fingers crossed it all comes back clear!!
    It's frustrating when drs just brush things off!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rhoda For This Useful Post:

BallerinaMum  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ballerina. I don't normally reply to these kind of threads but it is ringing bells for me.
    Back when I was younger one of my closest friends had a very similar issue. He was always complaining of pain, couldn't walk properly for days at a time etc. Drs were baffled for a long while but finally they diagnosed juvenile arthritis. They were doing all they could to find it to be something else but eventually there was nothing else to be found. He ended up on medication for it and is now an active 30 year old father of 2.

Hopefully they find out what is going on very soon. The poor little thing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kc1981 For This Useful Post:

BallerinaMum  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks kc1981, sounds like juvenile arthritis is a possiblity then. I think if the blood results don't show anything we will try seeing a paediatric orthopaedic surgeon to investigate further. Thanks for your support, will post when we get some more info...

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD had this but for days not weeks at a time but on and off for 6 months, complaining of pain in the exactly the same place. I took her to a podiatrist and they gave me exercises to strengthen her joints and feet and recommended a change of shoes. She hasn't had the pain since. Arthritis hadn't occurred to me, but my brother has had it since childhood so if the pain returns I'll look into it.

My sister in law had juvenile arthritis too and is now in her 30s with 2 kids and no pain at all. Very active, healthy lady. My brother still has pain but is very active and athletic.

Good luck finding the answer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. He has been admitted to hospital as he developed redness at the painful part of the foot and a low grade fever. An MRI showed an increase in fluid at the calcaneocuboid joint, they have taken a sample of the fluid and we will know in 48 hrs if he has an infection in the bone or joint, which will mean an antibiotic drip for minimum two weeks, or if not I think they are still considering it could be inflammatory disease. (There was no fever the other times he has been limping.)At least we are finally being taken seriously that it is not just a sprain! My son is extremely unimpressed with it all and feeling pretty miserable and scared, poor little guy. Will let you know what happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    would gout do that? hope you find out soon poor bubby

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your poor little boy. Hope everything's okay.