+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default First ever (and I hope and pray last) 000 call this morning - so scary!

So DD1 and I were just playing together and laughing and she sat herself on the ground and then all of a sudden like threw herself back and she smashed the back of her head on the floor!! It sounded horrible and started crying immediately... I picked her up and gave her a hug and said it would be okay, she then all of a sudden took a breath and wouldn't let it out again, until I gently shook her a bit and told her breathe... thankfully DH was right there and we thought she was okay again, until he took her and all of a sudden she just went grey and limp and her eyes glazed over (not unconscious), like she passed out!! She was only out for about 5 seconds and in the space of this time, I was asking DH if we needed to call 000, whilst reaching for the phone at the same time and trying to get her to come to again... So scary!

The 000 operator was fantastic and despatched the paramedics as soon as he'd taken the specific details... thankfully by this time DD1 had stopped crying and was calm... it only took about 10 minutes for the paramedics to arrive and they checked her over, took her oxygen levels, felt her head, took her vitals, etc., and they confirmed that she was absolutely fine, and to just keep a careful eye on her and look out for signs of concussion...

OMG ~ it was the most scary moment of my life.... from going to just thinking she'd bumped her head and she would be okay in a few minutes to in a split second knowing she wasn't okay and that she needed help!!!

Gave mummy and daddy a very big fright... lots of extra cuddles and kisses today! A big thank you to Qld Ambulance too!!!

Sigh... time to breathe again...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

How scary.... I am glad she is O.K.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How scary! I am glad all turned out okay.kids really do send us grey eh heh

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    ((hugs)) I know just how scary this can be my youngest dd did this when she was about two she bumped her head then while she was screaming her eyes rolled back in her head an she stopped breathing. We only live mins from the hospital so drove her there ourselves they spent ages checking her over and could find no reason for what had happened, a few months later she was fighting over a toy with her twin brother, started screaming eyes rolled back and down she went. This time I took her to our gp who said it sounds like she is holding her breath till she passes out, he suggested if it happens again try an catch her lower her to the ground than walk away as she was more than likely doing it for the attention, the next time it happened we did that and she never did it again.
    Not sure if this is the same thing that happened to you but sounded very similar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by madjedjjlill View Post
    ((hugs)) I know just how scary this can be my youngest dd did this when she was about two she bumped her head then while she was screaming her eyes rolled back in her head an she stopped breathing. We only live mins from the hospital so drove her there ourselves they spent ages checking her over and could find no reason for what had happened, a few months later she was fighting over a toy with her twin brother, started screaming eyes rolled back and down she went. This time I took her to our gp who said it sounds like she is holding her breath till she passes out, he suggested if it happens again try an catch her lower her to the ground than walk away as she was more than likely doing it for the attention, the next time it happened we did that and she never did it again.
    Not sure if this is the same thing that happened to you but sounded very similar.
    Just wanted to point out that if she passed out while she was screaming she could not of possibly been holding her breath...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by madjedjjlill View Post
    My DD 'holds her breath' sometimes when she cries but it is in no way deliberate or for attention! She simply can't catch her breath again as she is too upset and sometimes briefly passes out. It was terrifying the first time she did it but we are used to it now and if we catch it early enough we blow up her nose which often helps her take the next breath.
    OP That must have been very scary an I'm glad shes ok now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you everyone... she definitely did pass out, (absolutely nothing deliberate or attention seeking about it), she had no control over any of it, and her eyes didn't roll back at all and she wasn't crying at this point, and she wasn't responding to us, we knew something was wrong as she was just too calm! Lying here now, trying not to see the flashbacks of the look on her face when I close my eyes...
    Last edited by babylove81; 02-01-2012 at 23:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you google children holding breath you will understand what I posted. I wasn't saying your child did it on purpose but a lot of children when injured or throwing a tantrum will scream till no sound comes out then pass out. Normal breathing starts straight away and they are fine,
    I was just trying to tell the op that if it was the same thing that there is nothing to worry about.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's awful isn't it it happened with my ds3 not too long ago except his was tantrum induced. He started throwing the tanty so I lay him on the floor and started walking away and then he went silent so I turned back and he was standing up and quite clearly couldn't breathe, the look in his eyes was pure fear/panic and then he started to lose colour and fall backwards. I couldn't get to him fast enough and he hit his head when he went down he started breathing again though and sobbed him self to sleep in my lap.

Apparently I was a 'breath holder' too. Apparently they grow out of it but doesn't make it any less scary.