ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    fwiw, my birds and exotics vet recommends bathing. but then, birds bath as well and i have yet to have any evidence of my tiel going for a bath except in a sink of soapy water
    lots of people at pet stores really don't know much (not to say that this guy is one of those, of course). if you're worried maybe speak to an expert? then you can weigh it up properly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been thinking about it and the thing is we change his clam water every day, and only use beach sand (we live close to the beach) which would contain salt. The sand is always in his water and he is always in his clam...maybe that it enough bathing for him?

He is a pretty lively fellow- every morning we wake up and his clam is upside down, his toys moved around and he is asleep on top of drift wood, so pretty confident there is absolutely nothing wrong with him...

Pegasus is offline and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeee View Post
    i was under the impression salt was for bathing and just normal water for drinking?

the birds certainly do keep me busy. and poor. vet fees aren't cheap (cheep.. hehe) my boy mister is gorgeous. very strong-willed and stubborn though. just like his mum. sigh.
    From our "how to care book" (Merv Coopers Crazy Crabs):

Salt water bathing:

This seems to confuse many first time crazy crab owners. Bathing your crazy crab in saltwater is simply a way to replenish the mineral salts which are stored within the crabs' body

When the crabs were very small and living in the ocean, they had certain salt levels within their bodies because they lived in the sea water. As they come to land and stop living in sea water they need to replenish the salts in their internal systerm. In the wild they get these salts from crawling around in wet sandand from food they eat that is wet by sea water. The skin of the crazy crabs legs is porous and these holes allow the skin to absorb salt from the saltwater. As where they live in the wild on the high tide line all the grass, driftwood, mangrove leaves are all covered with salt they don't get it in captivity. You need to help your crabs get salt back in their syster, bu giving them a salt bath once a week.

"How to give your Crazy crab a saltwater bath"
    1. Pour a little freshwater into a shallow dish to a depth of 1-2cm
    2. Add a pinch of crazy crabs salt bath crystals and stir with your finger until the crystals have dissolved
    3. Pick up your crazy crab by his shell When his legs come out simply swish his legs around the saltwater for a count of five
    4 Leave the salt in the water bowl all day and one night so they have to get the salt into they're system.

Rabbity - your's must do well because you use sea sand etc anyway

My kids were given theirs for Christmas 2010 by my inlaws - they're still okay - but haven't changed shells - no matter how many new shells we put in the area.

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Rabbity - if your Mr Crabs is happy I'd just keep doing what you've been doing. My 2 died and I think I over-cared for them. Misted them, bathed them, all the stuff you're meant to but both passed on after a few months. One crawled out of his shell, wouldn't go into a new one and died, and the other burrowed and died.

I was livng in a really dry climate though and had to keep misting to keep them from getting too dry and I think it got too wet instead....d'oh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Pegasus.

Sparklydreamer- Thanks...I tend to kill this with love as well...I washed the tank of our Beta's so frequently it killed four of them...I'm trying to love Mr Crabs a little less...

Thanks
    Reviews
    beach sand is probably doing the trick then, by the sounds of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    We had them a few years ago and were told they needed a heat pad under the sand

Not sure if that is still the norm??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had Hermit Crabs as a kid and we were clearly soooo uneducated about them because when they got too big for their current shells my dad set them free at the beach So bad! Poor little hermit crabs. I really loved having them as pets though.
    I haven't had them since but I'm pretty sure the neighbours kids got some for Christmas too. Our kids got an Axolotl each and DH says I'm obsessing over them but really it's just because I'm so worried I'm going to kill them! The kids would be crushed so we can both keep our kids pets alive (I've managed to keep our goldfish alive for almost a year now which is a miracle in itself...I couldn't get a goldfish to live past 4 weeks when I was a kid).

Here's a website that seems to contain a lot of info http://www.hermit-crabs.com/care.html
    Last edited by Areca; 02-01-2012 at 16:03.