+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SammiAnn is offline Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default All things HERMIT CRABS!

Hello all ,

My children have been lucky enough to be given a hermit crab each for Christmas and we love them! I'm just chasing tips, do's and dont's, and stories about other hermit crab owners.

We've already bought some new shells and our eldest daughters crab has chosen a new home which was HUGE excitement here. Now it's a race every morning to check to see if the others have changed shells yet .

They've come with us back into town to stay a few days at my parents house and here is how we found them this morning after my father had a play with them...

Sam

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    try to keep their floor dry. i have had hermit crabs that died because they got sick, because the floor got wet and bacteria jumped in. also, stress. my first crab died just after we moved house. crawled out of his shell (as far as i can tell that's their way of saying "i'm about to die"), didn't go into a new one. died that night.

bath once a week- salt water. luke-warm if you can. non-iodised salt though, very important.

at some point i'll get another crab. but for now my birds are more than enough of a handful lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

SammiAnn  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cool thanks! They have bowls for fresh water, salt water (the special salt from the PS) and their food. I've read that they can get stressed and leave their shells, apparently sometimes they can get better.

Makes sense about the sand too, the wetter sand makes for much hard work when they are digging I'd imagine. I bought some more so plan to spread the current stuff out on trays in the sun to dry it out and sieve out the yucko wood shavings.

I read they sometimes like small cubed up veges but the PS lady said only dry food. Did you try anything like that? I was thinking of putting a little small cubed carrot in.

What sort of birds do you have? I fell in love with the pairs of peach faces at the shop, so cute how they were all paired up around the cage!

Sam

Thanks
    Reviews
    mine didn't get better. anyway. i've spoken to my wonderfully amazing bird and exotics vet about how to set up a crab-mahal in order to avoid bacteria infestation.
    no idea on the veges, sorry. i only gave mine the hermit crab pellets.

i've got a pair of double bar finches, 2 grey zebra finches, 1 white zebra finch (was in a very firmly commited partnership but her boy had to be put down), 4 jap quails (1 boy and 3 girls, they lay really good eggs) and a tame cockatiel who's a right little brat.
    and a dog. and xp's dog too, until she has a place big enough for him.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

SammiAnn  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a hermit crab as well- Mr Crabs- I luff him.

Regarding the vege- we give Mr Crabs a chuck of raw vege every few days and then dry crushed muesli the rest of the time. He seems pretty happy with that and absolutely love pumpkin.

We change the sand once a week, sometimes sooner if it's been humid as we noticed it can get mouldy if it's been humid. We also don't give him salt water, but boiled tap water.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

SammiAnn  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow Leeee you are a very busy pet owner then! Love your description of your 'brat' cockatiel, sounds cute.

Thanks Rabbity Babbity, I'll give the carrot and pumpkin a go and see what they think. So far they only have the flakes, they kinda look like fish food but arn't apparently. Everything I've read says they need saltwater (not normal salt, must be the un-iodised HC stuff) for bathing and freshwater for drinking.

Now we've had the larger plant saucer thingos for the water they haven't been dragging as much sand through them and making all their sand so damp. Hoping to get a bigger tank to have some driftwood for them to climb over.

Sam

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was under the impression salt was for bathing and just normal water for drinking?

the birds certainly do keep me busy. and poor. vet fees aren't cheap (cheep.. hehe) my boy mister is gorgeous. very strong-willed and stubborn though. just like his mum. sigh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm...we don't do anything for bathing, and only put in a clam shell full of fresh water for drinking...meh...he is still alive so I am not fussed by the lack of bathing...I haven't done much reading on care aside from the booklet the store gave us....

Thanks
    Reviews
    HEHE 'cheep'. Finches are very cute though, I've been googling the names for photos from your list.

All good to know RB, I was worried when I brought them to town that the town water may have been not filtered enough so filled a bottle of rainwater from a friend. I'm really worried about killing the poor things and then having to explain it to the kids what Mummy did!

Sam

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have now been reading up on bathing and benefits- suddenly worried Mr Crabs was going to die from lack of bathing/bacteria...I'm in two minds now as I am reading conflicting information to what the guy at the store provided us with...