+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default supply settled already?

My beautiful new bubba is now 2 1/2 weeks old and I am already having many times where I feel very 'soft' and she feeds more and longer when they are like this. With my last two, I had heaps of milk for at least the first month or so even to the point with no2 of having to block feed and feed lying down or he would choke.

I do have a thyroid problem and guess I am paranoid that it has come back early and is affecting my supply already. (Didnt happen in the past until around 4 months). I do think she also has a mild tongue tie like her bro which I had fixed - maybe this could be causing it. But, she has put on about 600g since we left hospital and only dropped 40g from birth weight in the first week.

Has anyone had their supply regulate this quickly? Am wondering if this could be normal...
    Last edited by Little_P; 31-12-2011 at 21:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was only engorged for the first week or so. After that I still had oodles of milk, but felt softish. It settled even more at the 12 week mark when the supply/demand system really kicked in.

It could be normal, but if you have concerns about your thyroid maybe get a blood test and check it out? Are there any other signs of a low supply in bub or is it just the lack of engorgement?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Little P.
    Not sure how much help ill be but thought id tell you what i heard at hospital by a midwife..
    I just had my 4th bubba 8 weeks ago and with my last three i had major engorgment and leaking..
    This time around,my boobs have always seemed floppy! So i asked,and i was told that it doesnt always have to be like it was with previous babys.It can be completly normal to not get engorged etc..
    I have heaps of milk and my bubba is putting on stacks of weight..

Is your bubbs crying more for feeds?
    If not then id say that your supply is still good enough to fill bubbas little tummy..
    Keep trying if your worried,remember the more you feed the more it will help your milk..
    Oh,and if it helps,my milk took a bit longer to establish the last two times...Maybe its just taking a little longer??

Good luck,hope your ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I came to ask the exact same question! I don't wake up engorged in the mornings like I did with my last two. My baby is 4 weeks now and feeds every 2 hours around the clock.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even with my first, other than first thing in the morning, my breasts were soft. I commented to the midwife that I actually couldn't tell if my boobs had 'emptied' (...feed on one side until it feels empty ) as they always felt soft... she commented that it wasn't to worry about; as long as you're getting plenty of wet nappies and bub is putting on weight, bub is getting plenty of milk.

With DS #2, my milk supply sorted itself out really quickly & I was rarely engorged... I think only when he first stopped getting up at night for a feed. I still managed to leak everywhere with 'soft' breasts tho'

Anyway, not too sure how much help I am, but if you are worried about yourself medically, certainly make a DRs appointment.

Enjoy you're lovely 2 1/2 week old bubby... nothing like a gorgeous newborn!