+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    a few episodes of one born every minute will provide heaps of education

but I am a very 2 at conception 2 at the birth type of person I don't see it as a I want my mum moment its a very personal husband and wife moment imo

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would suggest you define the purpose of each person ie 1 person speaks on your behalf/rubs your back, helps you into the shower, the other is the 'gopher' who gets water, ice whatever you need. I thought my dh would be ahem,useless but he was a star. I could not have asked for a better birthing partner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I slowly "desensitized" my DP for months prior the birth, getting him used to the idea that yes, I would be in pain, and yes, it is completely natural to be in pain and that women can handle it. I pretty much forced him to watch a couple birth vids and would just randomly say, every now and then: "You know hun, I might be shouting/vocal etc, but it'll pass blah blah". Once the time for labour came, he knew as much about the process as I did just through slow, systematic brainwashing.

I'm not sure if you'll have a continual OB/midwife/whoever supporting your birth but if you will, it may help to have your support people get to know them well prior the big event - that way, they'll have trust and with trust comes confidence etc.

Basically education about the whole process is the key and if they won't have a bar of it, maybe a doula could help you and they can smoke a cigar together in the waiting room??

Best vibes for it

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am soooooooo glad I had my DS before I found this forum. Its scary! Information overload.

Me and FOB attended 1 class and that was it. Passing around a doll and practicing rocking it back and forth was in no way enlightening and everything discussed on that first day was practically common knowledge. I had my mum and my DF at the time (FOB) with me when I went into labor. No matter how many classes or experience they have, I honestly believe that a man would never feel sooo useless in his life than he does whilst the woman is pushing a baby out. There is NOTHING he can do to help in the way he wants to help. He will want to take all that pain away but he cant....at all. All he can do is 'be there'.

You'll be too busy having a baby to worry about anything else. You'll do what you think is right and at the end you will have your baby in your arms. Relax. Stop stressing about every little detail. Take things as they come. Enjoy your pregnancy.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (31-12-2011),Missy14  (31-12-2011),Shoopuf  (31-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think taking your support people along to the birthing classes is a great idea if it's doable. Also, make a birth plan & ensure the midwife/Dr is shown it when you arrive to birth suite. If there is something they want to do then ask the midwife to explain pros & cons so you can make an informed decision. Have you thought about having a student midwife with you (if they do placement at your hospital)? The doula idea is a good one too but a student is cost free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a doula is a great idea if you have that option available. Is having your MIL a option? Or perhaps writing out a birth plan and telling and showing your DP and mum so they know what you want and that you want to fight to keep to the plan as much as possible?

My support people were going to be DH and MIL. Couldn't have my mum - she worries and freaks out at the idea of something going wrong and like your mum would be in agreeance with the doctors over me. She is also a bit naieve about birth - she thought that her period pain would compare to contractions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny88 View Post
    Is having your MIL a option?
    Now that's scary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    Now that's scary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    OT, but I just realised who you are. Congratulations, I didn't know you were pregnant!

Now...
    Thanks can you pm your old bubhub name ?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (31-12-2011)