+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2 positive home tests nothing showing on ultrasound

I feel pregnant, I did a home test that estimates how many weeks pregnant you are, said I conceived 2 to 3 weeks ago therefore was 4 to 5 weeks pregnant. Did ultrasound showed nothing not even the sack but said my uterus lining was thick. Dr rang yesterday with blood tests and ultrasound results and assures me I'm not pregnant. I asked if the blood test confirmed this and she said they didn't test for pregnancy just all the other things they test for when pregnant. But dr says even if I was in early stages of pregnancy the sack would definately show in an ultrasound.
    I did another home test today (1 week later) and again said positive and was a week further along then last test.
    Im away on holidays so I went to a dr here and he did another blood test. I am going crazy not knowing if I am preg or not as we've been trying for 12 months!
    What could be going on?!?!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a few positive pregnancy tests with DS then went for a dating scan which showed only a sac. They couldn't confirm a pregnancy so I made an appointment for 2 weeks later which confirmed I was 7w and 6days pregnant. So at my first dating scan I would have only been 5w and 6days pregnant.
    Maybe at the dating scan you where too early maybe your where only 4 weeks or so?
    Wait for the blood test result.
    It's very strange that 3 pregnancy test came postive.
    Best of luck for a postive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My guess would be that the ultrasound was too early, the doctor should have got you to wait a few weeks. Fingers crossed for you

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LibranTwin For This Useful Post:

laurea  (31-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing, this must have you on edge wondering what the heck is going on?!

I would try another Dr; I previously suffered an ectopic but prior to being diagnosed I had visited the early pregnancy clinic for internal and external ultrasound which didn't show a sac until I was close to 6 weeks and my tube was very close to rupturing by that time. I don't mean to startle you with my horror story as you're obviously not experiencing any symptoms apart from a positive pregnancy, just wanted to let you know that it takes time and a close watch to actually find the sac. It grows very quickly so I was asked to come back every two days to monitor it. And I am curious what the Dr means by "tested for everything else"? They should be testing your HCG levels not the other things they do in your initial bloods which is iron, rubella etc.

A positive test is a positive test... And if your feeling pregnant then I would go with your gut. I've got everything crossed for you

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm surprised your first dr didn't include HcG levels on your blood test.

I'm sorry to raise this possibility but I'd be worried about a possible ectopic pregnancy given you have several positive tests, but no sac showing in the uterus. That would make me wonder about an out of uterus pregnancy. I think its pretty poor that your dr was emphatic there is no pregnancy without doing a blood test for confirmation.

Good luck with the results from the current test. I really, really hope that you're pregnant and everything is fine and it was just too early to see anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope you get some answers soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Ectopic or chemical pg (where the egg fertilised but doesn't implant but you still get pos tests) came to mind. Although a week later your HcG should have gone down since no implantation happened if it was a chemical All those pg tests are picking up pg hormone and at levels that can be detected you have to be pg.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! Thank you very much ladies!

I should explain the dr whos given me my results over the phone isn't my regular gp (he is on holidays)

The blood tests were to check general health issues as far as I know but I'm
    Positive I read on the blood test referral hcg levels.

I am very upset with this dr who I've spoken to over the phone. She was very adamant I'm not pregnant didn't give any explanation at all. Now I've been all upset on holidays with worry and anxiety! Hopefully will get 2nd blood results in the morning!

I'm praying the ultrasound was just done too early and I am pregnant. I haven't had any of the pain symptoms associated with ectopic pregnancy but will definately keepit in mind incase i do get pains.

Thanks for the reassurance and help, hopefully I can get some sleep now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

You know, doctors worry me! I'm a vet & to be honest I'm horrified at the standard of care many doctors think is acceptable - they don't seem to think that explanation is part of their job.

It's certainly possible for it to be too early to get a good picture on ultrasound & it's also a very subjective test so it depends a lot on who's doing the ultrasounding! I would have thought it would be more worthwhile to leave it a few more weeks to scan but they should be checking/have checked your hCG levels. Can't blame you for being upset at all.

Hang in there & I hope all goes well for you. Keep us posted

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsB7511 For This Useful Post:

hopefulmama2b  (15-03-2012),laurea  (31-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    what a pita! I cant believe the dr said that to you & didnt even offer to check your HCG. I hope you find out whats happening really soon

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mumma Nurse For This Useful Post:

laurea  (31-12-2011)