+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleeping aids

Hi everyone i could really use some help my DS is 10 months old and he uses a dummy and sleeps with me but there not the problem. My problem is i am his sleeping aid. Every time he goes to sleep he needs to hold my arm or hand, or finger. I have tried to give him a soft toy instead but he just throws it away and sooks for me. I will try a soft toy again but am hoping for some help and ideas from anyone willing to contribute as i don't think it will work.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    No one has responded??
    Im a bit of a tough love mummy and feel its important that you teach him to fall asleep on his own ASAP. The older he gets, the harder it will be.
    Id find a soft toy that you know he loves and possibly already sleeps with and just be consistent in giving it to him when its bed time. It wont take long for him to create a new habit but you'll have to prepare yourself for a lot of crying for a couple or more nights. Every time he throws it away, keep giving it back to him and say 'time for sleep' and 'Shhhh' as loud as his cries.
    Good luck, im sure he will be fine once he learns to go to sleep without holding onto you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think that you need to teach him to sleep by himself or it will be harder later on. In fact I think the opposite!!! 10 months is still very young. It is no wonder he wants to be close to you. You are his world and his most favourite person of course he wants to be with you. But if you are getting resentful or want things to change cause YOU do, not cause family or friends are telling you to, then you can change things. Have you read The No Cry Sleep Solution??? She gives heaps of ideas to try and is not a one stop fix it like lots of other books.
    From personal experience my DD was breastfed to sleep as a baby and coslept for day and night time. She is now 2.75 yrs and mostly puts herself to sleep and sleeps through the night and LOVES her bed. She has NEVER cried herself to sleep and I truly believe that being sensitive and attuned to her needs both day and night has helped her to be such a confident happy little girl. Good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Loulabelle For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 14 month old DS holds my hand every night and I still love it! Ten months he is still a baby and wants to know his mums still there, just think in a few years you will wish he still wants to hold into you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone, i will definitely keep doing wat i want and not let any one else tell me wat i should do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'm in the same situation with my 10 month old. I can't do the parenting 24/7 thing and I personally don't think it's healthy for parents or children! I'm tired of DD2 needing me as her comfort ALL the time. DD1 had her thumb and Teddy. DD2 likes to stroke my face and neck to fall asleep. We've tried all sorts of substitutes and had some mild success with rubbing her back in her cot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    My 14 month old DS holds my hand every night and I still love it! Ten months he is still a baby and wants to know his mums still there, just think in a few years you will wish he still wants to hold into you!
    I agree, they're only babies ONCE!!! We're all creatures of habit young AND OLD

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)