+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Home birth - do you wait until the second trimester to find a midwife?

I am strongly considering a home birth, but I'm only 4 weeks pregnant. I sort of expected TTC to take longer so I could think about it some more, but I really don't feel comfortable at the thought of birthing in a hospital again. I had a straightforward pregnancy and a vaginal delivery, so I don't see any obvious barriers.

Anyway, do I have to contact a midwife now, or do people wait until the second trimester? I am not interested in any scans other than the 18 week one so I can just visit the GP for any issues in the meantime.

I'm just a bit lost on the logistics of how you start the process. I don't know anybody IRL who has had a home birth.

(I'm in the western suburbs of Brisbane).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I second missie mack

Do it now.

How exciting for you congratulations on your pregnancy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DQ For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, MM and edward. That's really good practical advice. I'm glad I asked now.

Belated congratulations on your baby, btw!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in WA so i'm going through the community midwifery program which meant that I applied when I was 10ish weeks preg from memory, and met my midwife at 16 weeks We clicked straight away, from the moment we spoke on the phone for the first time so I was lucky and I've had her ever since (I'm 20 weeks now). The CMP policy is to wait until 12-16 weeks for the first meeting, its just we were on holiday and I was flat out with uni until I was just 16 weeks so my middy and I just put it off until then and I just saw my GP.

If you are looking into hiring an Independent Midwife (IM) though, I would definitely start looking now and as PP said interviewing so you can find one that best suits you and your situation

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunandstars17 For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Edward, I couldn't thank your post - is it because you are a moderator? (the joy of the job must be thanks enough )

eta - it's working now. maybe I was accidentally looking at my own post.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

DQ  (29-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congratulations!!! i will keep my mouth shut on FB but i *squeeee* for you.

Try and find your midwife sooner rather than later. And everything else missy mack said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Congratulations!!! i will keep my mouth shut on FB but i *squeeee* for you.

Try and find your midwife sooner rather than later. And everything else missy mack said
    Thank you! But OMG so confused - did you used to have a different user name? Maybe you're mixing me up with somebody else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Thank you! But OMG so confused - did you used to have a different user name? Maybe you're mixing me up with somebody else.
    did used to have a diff username

I've PM'd who i think you are on facebook - if i'm wrong, then massively embarrassing. otherwise, congratulations anyway! baby's are always awesome news, whether i know the person or not

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup, get onto it now! There are not that many midwives here in Brisbane but there IS a very active homebirthing community that you should get involved with (I'll PM you).

Thanks
    Reviews
    i too am in WA and going through CMP i booked mine at like 8ish weeks and had my 1st visit at 14 weeks i too love my midwife i didnt get to choose her but wouldn't swap her now she is awesome. So yeah i would book early plus after you get all the info at your first visit you may change your mind or it will just re enforce your desire.