+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    From friends, playgroup, etc, the only boy I know who is circumcised was done for medical reasons.

Who are these 15%?
    Last edited by Mod-xkwzit; 06-05-2012 at 21:55. Reason: unnecessary

Thanks
    Reviews
    That rather avoids the question. Is there a correlation between socio-economic status / education / postcode, and circumcision rates? Just wondering why I don't see this 15%. Are they concentrated in the newer suburbs?
    When I was a kid it was still very common.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you tell me what the rate was in the early 80s? Want to demonstrate to a few males in my circle how much it hsa dropped since then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Savingfishfromdrowning  (05-05-2012)

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by goldtoe View Post
    That rather avoids the question. Is there a correlation between socio-economic status / education / postcode, and circumcision rates? Just wondering why I don't see this 15%. Are they concentrated in the newer suburbs?
    When I was a kid it was still very common.
    I wasn't avoiding the question, I answered one of them and I am honestly to lazy to answer all of the possible reasons. The only reason I would do it is for medical purposes. However there are many other reasons which don't relate to me which is why I pointed you to goggle.

Also what socio-economic group are you speaking of? And when you say new suburbs what exactly are you talking about? I know what a new suburb is but I don't know how that relates?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. As the decision is largely cultural, I thought its was a fair question. Like mullet haircuts or smoking.
    I just found a partial explanation: rates vary enormously between states. Here in WA, we have only a third as many circumcisions per capita as in Queensland. Perhaps it is more common in conservative rural communities?
    But Tasmania has a low rate too.
    Last edited by Mod-xkwzit; 06-05-2012 at 21:56. Reason: refers to deleted text

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by futureherder View Post
    And when you say new suburbs what exactly are you talking about?
    By that I meant, tongue in cheek, the areas that are predominantly white working class. The "mortgage belt". Conservative young families. As opposed to the wealthy suburbs, or older inner-suburban areas like mine with immigrants, pensioners, and alternative types. I don't know, just asking which subcultures, aside from Muslims, are doing it. Now I ask why does the rate vary so much between states?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by goldtoe View Post
    Yes. As the decision is largely cultural, I thought its was a fair question. Like mullet haircuts or smoking.
    I just found a partial explanation: rates vary enormously between states. Here in WA, we have only a third as many circumcisions per capita as in Queensland. Perhaps it is more common in conservative rural communities?
    But Tasmania has a low rate too.
    No it's not largely cultural. It's a decision based on personal circumstance and educated research made by parents. There are certain 'cultures' where for religious reasons it is performed.
    Last edited by Mod-xkwzit; 06-05-2012 at 22:00. Reason: refers to deleted text

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jacobsmamma For This Useful Post:

ItWasntMe  (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here in Qld the push for circumcision is largely due to one doctor - Dr Terry Russell, based in Brisbane.

There could be a socio economic relation ie; an unenducated individual would say that circumsion is 'cleaner' or that having a foreskin means you will catch an STI easier.

Rather than taking the time to research the facts just take on the status quo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I should not have used the "B" word.
    But after a little more googling, I found some answers: (data from, W.A. 90s)
    Here in WA, the middle socioeconomic group has double the rate of others. That is very significant. And there is an even bigger city-rural divide. "not cultural" !?

Results: In 1994, ... Boys <6 months of age were 3.3 times more likely to undergo a hospital-performed circumcision if they lived in country areas compared with metro­politan Perth. Middle socioeconomic class families were twice as likely to circumcise a son than those in the higher and lower socioeconomic groups.
    https://repository.uwa.edu.au/R/-?fu...se=GEN01-INS01