+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default its so hard to return back into the work when no one will give you a chance!!

I have been out of the workforce for a company almost 4 years since my DD has been born, since then I had DD2 2 years ago, however during that time we had bought a cafe & ran that for approx 2 years but that is now sold a year ago and now looking at returning back to work for some extra income part time....

I have literally applied for about 30 jobs, ALL within my expertise and not even a phone call or email back to say i was unsuccessful.... feeling so DE-motivated that im not even being considered and i don't know why.

I have spend $150 on getting a professional resume & cover letter done so its not that, have had over 15 years experience in the industry i am applying for.. even owned my own cafe!! but no luck!!

Has this happened to anyone else? can you share some advice or insights on what i can do & did you eventually get a job?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't wait for them to call you, call them! Or better still, go in person if you can. Most of the jobs I've got I personally asked for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I have started calling them the last few weeks now and still no luck .. fingers crossed for the next few!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Has this happened to anyone else? can you share some advice or insights on what i can do & did you eventually get a job?
    Hi there. I'm not sure where you are but here in Adelaide it's as dead as a doornail in terms of employment and I have friends who have more than 150 applications behind them and have been effectively searching for over 12 months. Here are my suggestions:

What I did
    • volunteer work - reduced isolation, landed contacts, got me out and about doing meaningful work;
    • I ended up working for myself as it was easier than landing a 'job working for the man'.

Insights on what you can do:
    • first and foremost, find out why you haven't been getting the positions you've sought - you may need to tweak or rework your resume;
    • opt for volunteer work in the meantime;
    • take on work other than what you were looking for if it's available to you;
    • update your skills - what you had for 15 years may not be applicable now;
    • be open to all opportunities and possibilities.
    Hope this helps.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    yup .. its hard to get back in

I have a teaching degree and I reallllly struggled to get part time work in retail after Alex was born, despite the degree AND part time work experience on my resume...

I did all the online applications, I went around to all the stores, and it wasn't till I basically cornered a boss at a local store that I got an INTERVIEW .. (phew) and I got a job from that .. but it was depressing up till that point .. its a hard slog.

I also did volunteer work at a local school and that lead to me getting some contact teaching which helped out HEAPS financially! we struggled for quite awhile

good luck .. be persistent and just nag them till they give you work ..

xx
    Jen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like you are looking for a job in the hospitality industry?

I am a hospitality manager.

From what you've said (15 years experience & ability to successfully run your own cafe) I can only think of a few reasons they may be dismissing you:

*your resume is getting lost in the piles of job applications they're receiving. Do you have a photo attached to your resume? Comming from someone who does hiring, a photo is worth it's weight in gold. It helps you picture the person at your establishment and (as long as its a nice photo) puts you miles ahead the rest.

*your applying for jobs below your skill level without explanation. If I receive a resume of a manager/owner applying for a waitress job I sometimes wonder how they'll proform. It's a hard transition road to learn to 'do what your told' again. Have you specifically said your only want part time BECAUSE you have young kids?

*are you asking for PT or casual. Many places don't have PT anymore only FT or casual.

And just a few more questions/sudgestions:
    *does your cover letter address the skills being requested? Eg if advertisement says 'well presented, hard working' your cover letter should be saying 'I am a well presented/hard working employee' make sure you address all they're requested criteria.

*also don't use common phrases (as I used above ) all the resumes end up sounding like they're from the same person. Get yourself a thesaurus and use it

Last but not least. Don't apply for 30 in one hit. Try 5. Focus on them and wait for a definite no (even it that means calling them 3 times, any more then that and you shouldn't want to work for them anymore) before trying another 5 places. When you spread your resources out all over the place you end up feeling exactly like you do now. Worn out. And when you do finally get an interview you don't want to be fed up & worn out, you want to be happy and excited about the opportunity.

X

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    chase all applications up. from working in recruiting the ones who ring and chase up their applications get further as it brings your name to the front of their mind again