+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 7 month old baby refusing breast... advice please!!

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. My 2nd DS is 7 months old and breastfed... started solids at 6 months, which is going well. He has been a little disinterested in breast feeding the last few days and today, had a minimal feed first thing this morning & has refused all other feeds... even went to bed without a booby

I do have my period for the 2nd time since giving birth... on day 3 I think. Could this be it? I did express some milk and tried to give it to him in a cup, but he refused this too. He was happy to drink water.

The only other thing is he 'munched' my breast at lunch time & I yelped and firmly said 'No biting'... would this have made him wary... I kind of figure he wouldn't have bitten me, had he wanted a breast feed.

Ohh goodness... he's crying now. Usually once he is in bed, that's it for the night.

Any advice please!!! How long before I should worry... I certainly don't want to stop breastfeeding at 7 months!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Your period could certainly be having an effect, sometimes people report babies being 'fussy' at this time (my gutsy sons never did ) but also here is a good article all about making it through a nursing strike. He may also be coming down with a bug, have sore gums, sore throat....

HTH

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 20-12-2011 at 20:07.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

BeanieBaby  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews

You poor thing! The ABA also has some great info on 'breast refusal', see article below:

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/breast-refusal

This is more common than you know so you are most definitely not alone! The ABA 24/7 hotline is also there to help if you need it.

I hope this phase passes for you both soon!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkiCuddles For This Useful Post:

BeanieBaby  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the links lovely ladies! I didn't even think of the ABA! I just had a lovely shower, so feel a bit better. Am thinking I'll see what happens tomorrow and if he is still totally refusing Thursday, I will make a Drs appointment, just to make sure there is nothing medically wrong. Am very much hoping it's just because of my period... given he refused breastmilk from a cup as well, when obviously thirsty... maybe it just tastes yuck

Thank goodness he is such a good little eater and will drink water otherwise I would be doubly concerned. Just not a nice feeling having your gorgeous bubby refuse to participate in something you both usually love

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay, now I'm sad!! Still total refusal today and screams if I even look like attempting to breastfeed Tried sitting up, putting a little milk on my finger first, singing songs blah blah blah. He'll drink a little bit out of a cup tho'... am bit sad that I think it's my boobies he's refusing. Has this happended to anyone else with a happy (back to breastfeeding) outcome?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's pretty normal to go through a rough patch when they start moving around, sorry I can't see you signature but is this your only child? If so I would strongly suggest just hanging out with him as much as possible with your boobs out, def give the aba a call 1800 mum 2 mum. I've always found my children will feed I the shower or bath best when they are having a rough patch, also are you co sleeping? You could try slipping your boob in while he is asleep either way it's just easier to do in a big bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, DS is 8 months and has been super distracted for a couple of months now. It's gotten worse since be started crawling a month ago.
    At the moment he'll only have a good feed before a nap. We've getting in 3 maybe 4 feds in during the day and 1 or 2 overnight. Do you think you need to strech feeds out so he's more hungry? I found this has helped us.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could a tooth be coming through? Breast refusal can be a sign of sore gums. Water may be cooling the teeth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Babycharlieandme View Post
    Could a tooth be coming through? Breast refusal can be a sign of sore gums. Water may be cooling the teeth?
    This.

If it is sore gums/teeth, the sucking motion could be hurting him. Maybe try getting him to chew on a cold teether or some ice just before you try and feed him to numb his gums a bit? Just an idea.

I haven't been through this personally but I'm sure it must be so hard for you. Hang in there, as I said before I've heard this happen so many times and it usually does pass eventually. They grow at such a fast pace and this just may be a little hurdle that you both need to get past together

Definitely ring the ABA if you haven't already. They are so supportive and can hopefully give you some more ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    KellyMom has some great advice too