+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Can a baby overdose on Homeopathic's??

So you know the teething drops, calm drops etc I think they are called Homeopathic's?

Can a child overdose? Or get sick if given to much? They are so touch and go some days work well some days not so I wonder how powerful they actually are???

I'm just curious. No I'm not overdosing my baby on drops she's only given what's on the bottle...

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think you can really 'overdose' Usually if a child takes homeopathic they are not meant to, or eats the whole bottle or something, you brush their teeth with mint toothpaste, as mint and other very strong substances (coffee) negate the effectiveness of the medicine. With homeopathics generally the 'weaker' the dose, the more effective, or more powerful the effect.

It's kind of ar$e about face to what you'd expect...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    I don't think you can really 'overdose' Usually if a child takes homeopathic they are not meant to, or eats the whole bottle or something, you brush their teeth with mint toothpaste, as mint and other very strong substances (coffee) negate the effectiveness of the medicine. With homeopathics generally the 'weaker' the dose, the more effective, or more powerful the effect.

It's kind of ar$e about face to what you'd expect...
    Wow really thanks for all that info very interesting

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. Homeopathic remedies have no active ingredients so there is no danger in taking too much.
    In the UK a group of over 400 skeptics took a deliberate "overdose" of homeopathic remedies and none had any effect- see the link here. It was widely reported. The fact that as PP mentioned, toothpaste, can apparently counteract any "effects" demonstrates this also. Many people believe these remedies to be nothing more than placebos and there is no credible scientific evidence to support homeopathic remedies. Well known skeptic James Randi has offered a $1 million prize to anyone who can show evidence of the homeopathy actually working- to date it has not been awarded.
    That said, you seem a little unsure of if you are actually using homeopathic drops or not? If it's made by Brauers then it's a homeopathic. It should state on the bottle if it is a homeopathic remedy or not, but if unsure speak with your GP. Herbal remedies, for example, are quite different and many do contain active ingredients so the dosage advice should be adhered to- but these are usually prescribed by a naturopath as opposed to over the counted homeopathy remedies.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (20-12-2011),Sparklydreamer  (20-12-2011),Tam-I-Am  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Placebos or not, they work! (Certainly for this family, and lots of other family and friends) Go the placebos!!! The best thing about placebos are, there are no side effects, and are completely safe

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (20-12-2011),Gothel  (20-12-2011),LoCo  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Placebos or not, they work! (Certainly for this family, and lots of other family and friends) Go the placebos!!! The best thing about placebos are, there are no side effects, and are completely safe
    Maybe for you but the OP said they are very hit and miss- I think that says a lot But to each their own. They are a personal bugbear for me having seen DSD go into febrile convulsion when her BM refused to allow panadol for a high fever and insisted we only give her homeopathic remedies- thats what prompted my research in this area. DH (DP at the time lol) was horrified when we looked into it and realised we'd giver her nothing but a few drops of water. She was fine but it was very scary, and she'd suffered for several hours of being absolutely miserable (temp hovered around 40-41 from memory) and we felt awful. This is just one example of what these kids suffered through because BM decided to go homeopathic over conventional before DH and I researched it and he put his foot down. Looong story but yeah, it's something I'm passionate about. My point there is that in some instances, they are actually not completely safe, ( a terrible chest infection that DSS had springs to mind- he needed antibiotics but BM gave homeopathic drops instead ) when given in place of conventional meds- case in point is the little girl died of eczema "treated" with homeopathics- link here- I think they are fine (if ineffective IMO) if used as a complimentary treatment in conjunction with conventional therapies, but should not be relied on as the ONLY treatment.
    Last edited by Atropos; 20-12-2011 at 20:43. Reason: added link

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My personal philosophy is to use least invasive treatments first, if they don't work, to use alternatives. I definitely don't think homeopathics are the be all and end all, and they do seem to work better on certain people than others, but for sure, if something is not having an effect, then other options definitely need to be pursued! I'm not a purist in that way...

But yes, homeopathics will probably always be my first port of call.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (20-12-2011),LoCo  (20-12-2011)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The best thing about placebos are, there are no side effects, and are completely safe
    And, by definition, completely useless... I don't understand your point

LoCo, to answer your question, no. It would be like overdosing your child on water.
    Last edited by lambjam; 20-12-2011 at 20:54.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (20-12-2011),LoCo  (20-12-2011)

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    well, i think homeopathics work. but then my main healthcare providers are my chiro and my kinesiologist so take me how you will.

i know it's not quite the same, but when i was in primary school i overdosed on echinacea. my fingers swelled up. so.. probably?
    if you're concerned you should ask a homeopath.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (20-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews

But yes, homeopathics will probably always be my first port of call.
    Just out of interest, does this apply to infections and other serious matters?