I have been told that I am high risk for Downs Syndrome 1:298 (the cut off being 1:300), so I literally just missed the OK range.
I'm 33 and this my second pregnancy. My DS had similar results but with him I just made the low risk range. With both babies my scan measurements were low risk but it has been my blood result that has let me down.
So now I have been advised to have the amnio test, which has a 1:200 risk of miscarriage - what do I do!!!
I would love to hear from anyone who has had the amnio test as I am in complete two minds on what to do; have the test or leave it and keep my fingers crossed.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
17-12-2011 07:31 #1Junior Member
- Join Date
- Jan 2010
High risk for 12wk combined nuchal screening
17-12-2011 08:09 #2
For the amnio itself, I had total confidence in the specialist conducting the test, so the MC risk didn't really play on my mind. Whilst it is a little unpleasant physically, emotionally it is tougher. You may experience some cramping over the days to follow but I was just told to rest.
Whether or not to have it really depends on yourself and partners feelings. I'm sure the responses you get will also be in two minds.
All the best
17-12-2011 19:25 #3Senior Member
- Join Date
- Feb 2009
I had a high risk test come up for T18 not Downs but it was 1:185 at 12 weeks. That was on bloods alone as bubs was in the wrong position for Nuchal scan. I was given the option of having an early morphology at 16 weeks and 2nd trimester bloods which I did and my risk increased to 1:18000. Could you request this as an option before considering an amnio?
21-12-2011 22:39 #4
I got a 1:12 risk after the NT scan at 12 weeks then had to wait until 15 weeks to have the amnio. The amnio really isnt a big deal at all in terms of the actual procedure, a pap smear is more uncomfortable. It only takes about 10 minutes and you wont feel any pain as you have an ana first. Its kinds like the feeling when you're getting a filling at the dentist - you can feel it but it doesnt hurt. Just check the success rate of the Ob doing it rather than the overall 1/200 rate overall.
In terms of whether to have the amnio or not - does the result really matter to you? Would you proceeed if you got a result you didnt expect? If you would then there's really not much point in doing the amnio. I had 3 weeks to consider this and decided I'd proceed with the pregnancy regardless but I wanted to research and prepare for less than ideal diagnosis just so I would know how to cope when the time arose.
21-12-2011 22:42 #5
The first question you should be asking yourself is.... Would you keep the baby if it does have Downs?
21-12-2011 22:49 #6
Most people who choose to have the amnio are those who need to have peace of mind for the next 9 months as to what to expect/not expect and what they would do given the information. I guess you really need to weigh up are you willing to *possibly* compromise the pregnancy (with the 1:200 risk to know for sure, or are you content to wait for the 18/20 week morphology scan.
Just keeping in mind though NT scan results are a 'risk assessment' not a 'diagnosis'.
21-12-2011 23:08 #7
I think you have to decide what difference the result would make first. If you would keep the downs child the no point just have a safe pregnancy. If it would be beyond you to have a ds child (absolutely no judgement) then do the amino. Gd bless xxx
Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
22-12-2011 08:23 #8
My nuchal with Seth came back with a thickness over 4mm and a 1:20 chance of Down's. I was really scared. I felt like I was risking what could turn out to be a healthy pregnancy to have an amnio, but thenI also felt I had to know if the babyhad a trisomy. It felt like a no win situation.
I had a wonderful obgyn and so caring. The amnio was a piece of cake. No pain, no trouble afterward - I was so surprised and relieved. But the wait for the results was like torture. I wa s 40 at the time and expected the worst. One week later we got the call. We had a healthy baby boy - no Down's. It was so good to know - I couldn't have gone through my whole pregnancy not knowing what was going to happen at the end, I had to be prepared. It's a decision that you have to search your heart to make. Only you can make it. In your case, I know you are worried about your nuchal result, but I personally think it's quite good. I would be feeling confident with that one. Over 200 with a normal nuchal thickness would have me cheering. Well, good luck hon with whatever you decide.
By nic1975 in forum Pregnancy & Birth General ChatReplies: 7Last Post: 14-05-2016, 09:50
By lil5 in forum Gestational DiabetesReplies: 16Last Post: 24-04-2012, 07:56
By haywardtina in forum Pregnancy Tests & Help / Support with ResultsReplies: 5Last Post: 06-03-2012, 07:02
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car RestraintsBuying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
LATESTWhy it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at home
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Married At First Sight 2017Movies / Music / Books / TV Chat
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
What is your weekly budget?Family Finances
Using home equityFamily Finances
Did you drink any alcohol during pregnancy?Pregnancy Health Issues
Dr Antony Lighten - Appreciation threadpregnancy and babies through IVF
Feeding a 9 month oldGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat