+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flinders Birth Center

I didnt know where to post this so I am posting it here. Who has had a birth at Flinders Medical Center? How was it? I am currently ttc-ing for my first. I would also like to know will they still take me when I suffer from endometriosis?

Please answer
    Last edited by Lollie1990; 16-12-2011 at 08:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi I've birthed and attended births there are you hoping to get into mgp or l&d? They should still take you as they are equipped for high risk so I don't think they'd turn you away (they're the main maternity hospital for the south) did you have any more specific questions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really would like to get into mgp. Because I want to go the all natural way and have heard that if you do go mgp. They dont offer you the epidural and they let you do things the way you want. Are you a Doula or a independent midwife? How was the births?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollie1990 View Post
    I really would like to get into mgp. Because I want to go the all natural way and have heard that if you do go mgp. They dont offer you the epidural and they let you do things the way you want. Are you a Doula or a independent midwife? How was the births?
    they do offer epidurals and occasionally even push them some even push inductions too so that's luck of the draw, there are brilliant mids dont get me wrong but there are brilliant mids in L&D too so don't get too disheartened if you don't get mgp. I'd say the deciding factor is being informed and having good support around you

I'm a Doula, and I've seen both ends of the scale with work. I have seen amazing births against the odds and horrible births that have stuck with me. I do enjoy working at flinders and overall I find the midwives to be open and supportive of a good support team and mostly they respect a mothers right to birth as she pleases. (on both sides of the ward)

I think my two most memorable cases are ones that have gone against the expected outcomes, one was a relief job where I came in brand new to this couple while they were in established induced labour and supported them to have an amazing empowering natural labour/ birth against the odds and another was a family in the mgp who was induced and had a mid push drugs, and ignore alot of the families wishes even when she'd been aware of them for months that was a very scary birth with a less than ideal outcome that has left a traumatized mummy and stuck with me for a long time. I truly think a different mid would've made all the difference there both of these were first children, both inductions, and really the expected outcomes most would say belong down the other end of the hall.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah ok. Yeah that is why I want an independent midwife present at my birth. So I know that even if they do force that upon me that she will be able to stand up for my rights and keep my birth what I want. Because I know I will cave when they push, so yeah. I am currently searching for an independent midwife. So she can be with me from start to finish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can recommend one if you'd like? She is lovely may I ask why you're not considering a homebirth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.endometriosis.org.au/faqs-on-endometriosis

7. Will endometriosis affect my pregnancy or delivery in any way?
    Endometriosis is diagnosed in a third of women presenting for investigation of infertility. Severe endometriosis can interfere with getting pregnant but in mild cases the reasons for difficulty falling pregnant are uncertain. Endometriosis does not appear to affect pregnancy and delivery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you know someone please tell me! My faince wants me to be at the hospital just in case. Plus we dont live alone, so it wouldnt be as private as I would like. But I hope my birth after this 1 will be a homebirth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollie1990 View Post
    If you know someone please tell me! My faince wants me to be at the hospital just in case. Plus we dont live alone, so it wouldnt be as private as I would like. But I hope my birth after this 1 will be a homebirth.
    Pm me and I'll get her details for you she is medicare eligible too

Have you discussed the associated risks of hospital birth vs homebirth? (the private mid can help you with this conversation **if it is what you want) my dp was iffy on it but there is enough info to support it though as you're not living alone? It may not suit, have you thought of where you'll be for early labour if you don't have a private space to retreat to?

I'd also recommend a student mid or doula or even student doula though many im's will be brilliant emotional/ physical support out of the medical field too