Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    do you read them bedtime stories? get/borrow some about the christmas story.
    take them to church on christmas day.
    set up a nativity scene instead of or under your christmas tree.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's near impossible that they're not EXPOSED to Santa in some way, but that doesn't mean they'll believe. Plenty of people on here don't do Santa - their kids are aware that it's all fiction. Some are religious, others are not.

Your children are only very young - don't worry too much about what they believe yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just teach your kids what you want to teach them - short of putting them in a bubble you can't shut out what other people do. Teach them the Christmas stories from the bible, read to them about Jesus and the significance of his birth, involve them in Advent and take them to church.

Why not get their Grandfather to talk to them about it too? Explain what he does as a priest at Christmas and how important that is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids and all their friends know what christmas means.

the biggest influence will come from you.
    Just talk about Santa as something that some kids believe in.

My friend tells her kids, that some people believe in different things and some dont. Santa is one of these. Its ok to not believe in him. Christmas can be special with or without him.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (14-12-2011)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Not religious, but we cope perfectly fine without Santa in our Christmas. While we don't have the same meaning for Christmas that you do, we use it as an opportunity to be with those we love.

You get to dictate what the meaning of Christmas will be for your family. There are several years before they hit school (just going by your signature) so you have plenty of time to share with your children your family beliefs.

Don't worry too much about what happens at school just yet. if you don't want Santa in your Christmas, don't have him. If your children ask about him, then be honest and tell them what santa is about and why you don't include him in your Christmas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thankfully here in Australia we are allowed to worship /celebrate however we choose, as pp have said you do what is right for your family, Christmas was a celebration made up by Christians to suit them, as pp have also stated they sort of tagged onto the pagan celebration and Hanukkah ( which was around before Jesus who incidentally would have celebrated it)
    I am Jewish, I do not celebrate Christmas as a time for Jesus, I celebrate Christmas as a time for family and of course Santa!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 14-12-2011 at 11:56.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (14-12-2011),elleandsam  (15-12-2011),trishalishous  (15-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Are you aware that the Christians hijacked Winter Solstice to convert the heathens?

If you wanted to have a rant about us non religious folk, perhaps you could have been clearer in your opening post and perhaps you should have posted it to the appropriate area.
    This is what my beliefs are, nothing to do with Jesus being born. Because if you want the honest truth, Jesus could not have been born in December, because there is no way there would have been a census in the middle of winter. So take your anger out on the Christians who decided to try and convert the 'heathens', not on people who choose to celebrate giving gifts to others.

Sent from my GT540 using Bubhub

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (14-12-2011),Busy-Bee  (15-12-2011),Gandalf  (15-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    "the true meaning" of Christmas is subjective. You believe in the Christian interpretation and that's all good - you're free to believe in whatever you choose. Personally I don't see anything wrong with people making it whatever they want it to be. Ultimately the Christian faith is supposed to be based on love, acceptance, generosity of spirit etc so why would a person of this faith begrudge others a day to celebrate these things regardless of how they do it or what they believe about the origins?

What you teach your kids is your choice, I hope you also teach them about diversity and acceptance.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (15-12-2011),sunnyd  (15-12-2011)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyelle View Post
    we are a family of anclican christians and i want to teach my kids the true meaning of christmas and not that some pretend person breaks into the house on christmas eve to give them gifts ,in my opinion the true meaning of christmas has been belittled by non religious people making it to be something its not but non religious people dont celebrate hanukkah and turn it into something else , they dont celebrate eid and turn it into something else so why christmas, so how can i teach my kids the true meaning when the true meaning is near enough extinct and taken over by the santa clause
    Sorry but I find it ironic that you are speaking of people turning the celebration into 'something else' when Christians were the ones to actually do this in the first place.
    Nowadays anyone who so much as thinks of celebrating this time of year are branded as non-religious people riding on a commercial bandwagon

The true meaning of this celebration actually has Pagan origins.

You can teach your children whatever you like, just omit the Santa part

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (14-12-2011),Busy-Bee  (15-12-2011),Chocolate All Gone Now  (14-12-2011),elleandsam  (15-12-2011),Gandalf  (15-12-2011),trishalishous  (15-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first thought has already been said by a pp, about how Christians are belittling the pagan celebration of midwinter by bringing Christ into the festival for no good reason.

My second thought, is that by the government declaring days on and/or around Christmas day to be public holidays, non-Christians are restricted in their behaviours of non-observance. We really need to stop the Christian religious holidays from being public holidays before the OPs issues can be resolved.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (14-12-2011),Busy-Bee  (15-12-2011),Gandalf  (15-12-2011)