+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexie and Zekes Mum View Post
    The catch is designed to break when enough force is applied, which isn't much at all. This also worried me but the catch on good quality ones has a soft plastic, threaded tube to do it up, this breaks very easily...I know because I accidently broke DS's.
    Which poses yet another risk, while one bead may not be a choking hazard a broken and now loose string of beads surely is? I also don't think it would take much for it to get caught on something and strangle a baby. Sure the chances of all or any of these things happening would probably be small but, that small risk compared to the small possibility that they actually work for pain relief is just not worth it for me and my children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    the instructions that came with ours said that they are not to be worn whilst sleeping. I take DDs off at bathtime, so she doesnt wear it at night (and she still sleeps through), but she does wear it during her day sleep.
    She never ever pulls at her beads though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Manny For This Useful Post:

melbabie  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bada View Post
    Which poses yet another risk, while one bead may not be a choking hazard a broken and now loose string of beads surely is? I also don't think it would take much for it to get caught on something and strangle a baby. Sure the chances of all or any of these things happening would probably be small but, that small risk compared to the small possibility that they actually work for pain relief is just not worth it for me and my children.
    If you don't like them, don't get one. That's your right as a parent.

There are risks in leaving you baby to sleep in another room, risks in feeding your bub formula, risks in things that we people do every day. It's all calculated risks.
    Last edited by Bubbles10; 12-12-2011 at 16:50.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Pawzette  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    I think that's kinda exactly what she's saying

My rough and tumble DS has never broken his when he used to wear it thankfully, but I only ever had it on him during the day when he was supervised and never to sleep.

If you're worried I'd probably not use one, I've never seen any safety standards or anything related to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Obviously, which is why I indicated benefit does not outweigh risk for my family.

There are risks in leaving you baby to sleep in another room, risks in feeding your bub formula, risks in things that we people do every day. It's all calculated risks.
    But this is a discussion on amber teething necklaces. I'm not quite sure why you've quoted my post or what the point of your post is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have one for DS. So far he has chewed two of the beads off (one I found, didn't find the other one but it didn't come out in his nappy), and he figured out how to undo the clasp so he takes it off constantly and pulls on it etc.
    It is still in one piece, amazingly. He doesn't wear it anymore because he just takes it off as soon as we put it on him but when he's teething I do put it on him when he's asleep because it does make a difference to his sleep.
    With all the beads individually knotted, even if the clasp breaks you're just left with a string of individually knotted beads. The necklace has put up with a lot from DS, where as the cheap beaded necklaces that my DD's have break really easily and beads go e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. As far as necklaces go, amber necklaces are MUCH safer.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by swizzlestick; 23-12-2011 at 21:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bada View Post
    Obviously, which is why I indicated benefit does not outweigh risk for my family.

But this is a discussion on amber teething necklaces. I'm not quite sure why you've quoted my post or what the point of your post is?
    because your post just screams of scare tactics with out any real evidence.

while one bead may not be a choking hazard a broken and now loose string of beads surely is? I also don't think it would take much for it to get caught on something and strangle a baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    I won't be using one for my dd (and I didn't use one for my ds) due to the potential risks of strangulation (that come with any necklace - yes, some are more risky than others) and the risk of choking/swallowing a bead. For me, the risk is too high. Yes, as a parent you do need to do a risk/benefit analysis for everything we use, but it's important that we don't rely on the companies selling things to let us know what the risks are - remember they are trying to sell something to you! It's a big problem with baby products in general as there is no legislation covering lots of items like amber teething necklaces, but also things like sleep positioners, portacots, bassinets, etc.

There is actually a warning on the ACCC website saying that Amber teething necklaces may pose a choking hazard to children under 3 and they have warnings about when/how they shouldn't be used - http://www.productsafety.gov.au/cont...mItemId/981051

Thanks
    Reviews
    because your post just screams of scare tactics with out any real evidence.
    I was just offering my viewpoint, and to be fair there's no real evidence that amber teething necklaces even work.

There's a reason the companies making these necklaces have those little disclaimers saying "Whilst every effort is made to ensure the safety of our products we cannot be held responsible for any injury or death caused by our products."