ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Confused first time mum!

Hi, just after some advice or direction from anyone that can help.

I'm single, 13.5wks UTD with my first & have just been told that I won't be able to have my first antenatal apt at hospital until feb.
    I don't have a regular doc, just go bulk billing clinic where they tend to always rush anyway and I have no idea what I need to do before then!!
    I know there's another scan at 20wks which will be towards end of Jan but is there anything else before then???
    So confused and a bit scared now!! Also unemployed & staying with family/friends til I can get a job then a place of my own...think it's all starting to get on top of me grrrrrr!!!
    Thanks for any help!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You need to see a GP to get a referral for your 18-20 week scan. They will also need to refer you to a hospital.

I'm not sure if it's the same for every state, but I'm in qld and my GP sent a referral off electronically to the hospital I wanted. They will apparently contact me when I am 16 weeks and book me in for my first appointment. I'm using the public system.

It would really help you if you saw the same GP each time, especially if you go for the shared care option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first appt at the hospital about 6 weeks ago now, when I was about 8 weeks. I'm not sure if that's early - they just booked me in, took all my details etc. I've since had 2 clinic check ups with midwives - I'm 14 weeks. I'm using the public system in NSW. Where are you based?
    My experience re: referral was a bit different to Lovey's - I went to the GP and told her I'd booked into the hospital already and she just wrote me out a referral without even checking I was actually UTD. I don't really have a lot to do with my GP - I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I really only go there if I need test results or I'm actually sick. I figure the midwife clinic will manage my care adequately and when the appointments need to be more frequent they will be.
    If I were you I'd get choosing a hospital quite quickly, as your options are limited the later you leave it e.g. I'm booked into a birthing centre which offers a much more home-like experience - but it gets completely full by the time people reach about 16 weeks. Anyone who registers after that has no choice but to birth in the birthing unit - part of the hospital and much too clinical for me!!

Good luck!!

CallaLilly is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011 - Funniest Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    IMHO I would try to scout out a bulk-billing GP that you could go to on a regular basis who could answer all your questions and monitor your progress closely, getting bounced around from one person to another leaves too much room for you to 'fall through the cracks.'
    Perhaps try asking around, or check at your local hospital if they know of anybody. My doctor's practice bills on a 'needs' basis- they assess whether someone should be bulk billed individually depending on their financial circumstances. Those on lower income don't have to pay but still get quality care.
    Being a first timer can be scary, and you need all the personal support you can get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to my gp every 4 weeks and he organised all my hospital appointments, scans, everything. He was great, maybe find someone that puts you more at ease?