+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default postnatal depression counselling in NSW?

Looking for postnatal depression counselling in NSW. But don't know where to look. The directory here doesn't have anyy info other than names and numbers.

What's the way to go about this?

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One of the best places to start is your GP. They can refer you or your partner to a counselling service or psychologist, they can also discuss other treatment options if necessary.

Beyondblue's number is 1300 22 4636. They can help point you in the right direction as well.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first port of call was my GP.
    She talked me through treatment options and organised sessions with a cognitive behavioural therapist for me.

Good luck x

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, hatbox. You might probably already know this, but there is a depression section on the forum, with various sub categories such as PND. Here is the link to that area of the main forum.
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...tal-depression

There is a lot of information about PND in there, check out this link for ‘sticky’ threads with resources about perinatal depression.
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/forums/forumdisplay.php?79-General-depression-and-blues

I agree with the others; I would urge you to talk to your GP and get a referral to a psychologist. There might also be other services in your community which can be helpful for you in this time.

I really recommend calling PANDA. (Post and Antenatal Depression Association - Call 1300 726 306) PANDA's telephone information, support and referral service is staffed by trained volunteers, professional counsellors and supervising staff. Most of these volunteers on the helpline have experienced perinatal depression and anxiety. PANDA also has a large database with a lots of information about perinatal support services in the community. I really recommend that you give them a call and ask what exist in your area.

I also want to mention a private discussion area in here, for people who have past or present experience with PND/AND. It is a password protected area, so if you are interested in access, please pm me for the password.

This is how to find the area:
    • If you go to the forum overview/main section and scroll down you will find the section with the heading Not happy? Emotional health issues area and click on the Depression section, you can scroll down and will see a sub-section called Private Discussion Areas
    • Use the password
    • Once inside the area, you can subscribe to the sub-section to ensure that you always get an email whenever a new thread is started in there. To do that, click on the orange RSS button and follow the on-screen instructions. Because access to the new section is restricted, posts made in there will not appear in new posts and won't be indexed by google, etc.
    The discussion area has been a really great success so far. It is a really supportive space full of people who have experiences with PND/AND.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by MuminMind; 19-12-2011 at 16:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My father is depressed because of my education and i can not see him depressed.kindly share with me any best counseling service which can be very good for my father.